After the long, hot summer your HVAC & Plumbing system may need some attention before the start of winter. Here's a quick checklist from the professionals at One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning and Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of things you can do right now to prepare.
- Replace your air filters. A clogged or dirty filter can make your system work harder, which uses more energy. It can also damage your system. Replace your filters are recommended by your system's manufacturer.
- Seal up Leaks. Take a quick walk around your home to check for cracks and gaps around windows and doors. This could let the heat out and cold air in. Now is a good time to find these leaks and seal them up. Consider a humidifier to make your home more pleasant in the fall and winter.
- Replace the batteries in your programmable thermostat to make sure it operates all season. Now is also a good time to replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, too.
- Tidy up. During the winter months, flammable materials like paint or cleaning supplies may have been placed near your heating systems. This could be a safety hazard. Clear the area around your furnace or heating system and make sure furniture and rugs are not blocking your vents and registers.
- Get a tune up. We recommended having a professional clean and inspect your system, which could extend the product life and help reduce the frequency and severity of breakdowns.
- Check for leaks inside and outside your home. Now is a great time to fix leaks before the weather gets too cold. Replace old washing machine hoses, worn gaskets, washers and toilets flappers inside. On the outside, check hoses and spigots for leaks. Any signs of mold, discoloration or foul odors can indicate larger problems.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts by removing leaves and pine needles so melted snow and rain flows away from your home.
- Consider a plumbing inspection. A plumber can inspect your water heater, drains and toilets to check for leaks and offer solutions if necessary. Now is a good time for an inspection, before you have a house full of guests.
For more information on preparing your home for the upcoming fall season, contact One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning and Benjamin Franklin Plumbing at (440) 401-2660.