Water Heater Repair
As a water heater ages, it can begin to leak, lose efficiency, or provide insufficient amounts of hot water. If you are noticing diminishing returns in your hot water supply, give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing a call! We are available 24/7 and offer same-day appointments for water heater repairs or maintenance services.
Get your hot water back with reliable hot water heater repair services from our licensed plumbers. Call (800) 259-7705.
The Types of Water Heaters We Repair
We service all types* of gas and electric-powered water heaters, including:
- Conventional tank
- Hybrid/heat pump
- Combination boiler
Check with your local franchise; not all locations may install this item.
Water Heater Repair
From time to time, your water heater may need repair. When we arrive to repair your water heater, we’ll inspect it first to determine the source of the issue and what type of repairs are needed. And because we value transparency and customer satisfaction first, we’ll always discuss our recommended solutions and overall expected costs before we even begin!
From there, our experts will provide long-lasting repair solutions. Whether it’s water heater leak repair, part replacement, setting adjustments, fitting or repairing pipes, or removing buildup, we have you covered.
Signs of a Failing Water Heater
The presence of hot running water does not necessarily mean your water heater is in prime condition. These telltale signs might reveal underlying issues:
- Reduced amount of hot water
- Leaking water
- Randomly shutting off
- Standing water in the unit
- Running constantly
- Increasing energy bills
Common Causes of Hot Water Heater Problems
- Sediment buildup
- Faulty temperature and pressure relief valve
- Defective drain valve
- Damaged tank
- Sulfate bacteria buildup
- Deteriorating anode rod
- Loose pipe connections
Identifying Water Heater Sounds
When it comes to hot water heaters, troubleshooting sounds can be difficult because there are many potential reasons. Here are some common sounds and their associated issues:
- Popping – This is likely caused by hot water bubbling up through sediment buildup at the bottom of the tank.
- Crackling – This is likely caused by calcium exploding inside a tank.
- Ticking – This is likely caused by fluctuations in water pressure or loose pipe straps connected to your hot water lines.
- Sizzling – This is likely caused by water leaking onto a hot burner assembly.
- Hammering/knocking – This is likely caused by an abruptly halted water flow inside water supply pipes.
From tightening pipe straps to replacing pressure valves, we have expert remedies for every situation.
Water Heater Maintenance
Your water heater should be inspected by a licensed plumber every year. Maintenance can prevent emergencies, improve durability, and satisfy warranty requirements.
Our water heater maintenance services include:
- Routine hot water heater flushing
- Part replacements
- Multi-point inspections that check for cracks, leaks, and joint gaps
- Anode rod examinations
- Temperature and pressure valve safety checks
Flushing a hot water tank to remove sediment buildup is particularly beneficial. Sediment shortens the unit’s lifespan and reduces its efficiency.
Water Heater Inspections
The number one way to prevent water heater emergencies is to invest in regular inspections. Warning signs, such as corrosion and sediment, can be effectively treated if caught early. Inspections can also protect your home and family against carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide can leak when a gas water heater is improperly installed and/or vented. An odorless gas, carbon monoxide can cause stomach aches, chest pain, vomiting, mental fogginess, weakness, dizziness, headaches, and even death.
Benefits of Water Heater Maintenance
- Improved Performance. Along with draining, cleaning, and examining your water heater, our specialists can determine if your tank would benefit from insulation. If the tank is hot to the touch, heat is being expelled and wasted. Wrapping it in insulation is an inexpensive, fast, and effective solution that will make your water heater more efficient and cost-effective over time. Our highly trained installation technicians follow all the guidelines outlined by Energy.gov to deliver trusted results.
- Increased Efficiency. Over time, your water heater will slow in efficiency due to natural buildup and wear. By removing sediment buildup, insulating pipes to retain heat, fixing leaks, and calibrating the temperature to reduce water waste during maintenance services, we help increase the overall efficiency of your unit.
- Better Longevity. Standard routine maintenance helps extend the life of your unit. However, our experts can also add additional features such as an expansion tank to relieve pressure or a water softening system to mitigate the corrosive consequences of hard water.
- Reduced Energy Bill. Performing regular maintenance can save you from wasting energy and dealing with costly water damage. By keeping your tank in prime condition, we can extend its lifespan and help you lower your monthly utility bill.
Why Rely on Our Plumbers for Water Heater Repair Services?
Nobody can control when an emergency happens. That is why our reliable team is on standby nights, weekends, and even on holidays. When disaster strikes, our qualified technicians are responsive and punctual. That’s why we call ourselves The Punctual Plumber®. If we arrive later than our scheduled appointment time, we’ll provide a discount to make up for the inconvenience.
Hot Water Heater Repairs Near Me
Water Heater Repair FAQs
Should I repair or replace my water heater?
The older a water heater becomes, the more likely it will run into issues that require expensive repairs. When the cost of repairing a water heater is 50% or more of the cost of replacing it, we almost always recommend installing a new unit.
Beyond the cost of repairs vs. replacements, upgrading to a modern water heater can also provide many benefits, including:
- Unlimited hot water
- Compact sizes
- Reduced energy usage and monthly bills
- Increased reliability
What do water heater repairs cost?
Water heater repair costs involve many factors:
- The specific part(s) being fixed.
- The make and model of the water heater.
- The condition of the water heater.
- The labor and time the repair will require.
Should I shower or use hot water if my water heater is leaking?
No. While showering likely won’t exacerbate a water heater leak, not repairing the leak immediately can result in significant damage. It can cause the breaker to frequently trip, or result in mold, water damage, and fire hazards. A leak can also indicate potentially dangerous structural issues.
How can I detect if my water heater is leaking?
The best solution is installing a leak alert and automatic shut-off system. This technology connects a valve to the water line feed and a sensor in a pan near the drain tube so that any leak will set off a leak alert and simultaneously shut off the water intake to minimize damage.
Can water heaters catch fire?
In rare, extreme cases, a water heater could explode and cause a fire in your home as a result of:
- A gas leak – If gas leaks near your water heater, the small ignition flame/ pilot light can ignite the gas, causing a dangerous explosion and probable fire.
- Excessive water pressure – Pressure builds inside the tank whenever water is heated. If your water heater’s safety mechanisms fail, the pressure can cause the entire unit to burst and erupt into flames.
Are water heater repairs covered under homeowners insurance?
Water heater repairs and replacements are often excluded from standard homeowners’ insurance unless a unit is damaged by a covered incident, such as flooding or a house fire. Nevertheless, water heaters can be covered by supplemental equipment breakdown coverage added to an insurance policy. In rare instances, dwelling insurance may cover certain water heater malfunctions. Fortunately, you can always count on Benjamin Franklin Plumbing to stand behind all water heater services and parts we provide with reliable warranties and guarantees!
How often should I drain my water heater?
We recommend having your water heater flushed at least once a year to prevent sediment buildup and extend the life of your unit. With Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, you can schedule routine maintenance flushes!
- Water Heater Plumbing Services
- Water Heater Replacement & Installation Service
- Tankless Water Heater Services
Resources You May Enjoy
- Water Heater Tripping its Reset Button? Here’s What It Means
- Maintain Your Water Heater to Extend Its Life
- Re-lighting a Water Heater’s Pilot Light
- Should You Adjust Your Water Heater Temperature?
Check with your local franchise; services may vary by location.
Repairs on the SpotOur trucks are fully stocked so we can fix most plumbing issues on the spot without a follow up visit. That's less time & money spent!
The Punctual PlumberWhen you don’t have time to wait around, you can count on us to be punctual plumbing professionals. For every minute we’re late, we pay YOU!*
Straightforward Pricing GuideBefore we get to work, we discuss your available options to let you decide which pricing works best for you. No hidden costs or technical jargon!