Benefits of Installing a Water Softener
Hard water occurs when there is an overabundance of minerals in the water, particularly calcium and magnesium. This contributes to several issues that can occur throughout your home. Thankfully, with the help of a water softener system, you can have safer, treated water in your home.
Effects of Hard Water
Hard water can have negative effects on many items throughout your home including your comfort. This includes:
- Plumbing fixtures —Over time, hard water build can tarnish and stain plumbing fixtures like showerheads, faucets, taps, and spigots. The mineral buildup will develop a crust around the fixtures and can cause damage.
- Pipes — Pipes, no matter what type you have in your home, are affected by mineral and scale build-up. Due to the property of hard minerals in the water, it can also change how soap and detergents are dissolved in water. They can get left behind and build up over time, causing clogs and blockages.
- Appliances — Hard water causes scale and mineral buildup throughout appliances and can even ruin them if not cleaned properly. For example, hard water can infiltrate your coffee maker and can plug up necessary parts within.
- Dishes — Dishes can develop a film of debris that is hard to remove, particularly on glassware.
- Clothing —Since hard water doesn’t do a good job of dissolving soaps and detergents, clothing, bedding, and linens will feel stiff and will look dingy.
- Sinks, tubs, and basins — Just like plumbing fixtures, mineral buildup can make your sinks, tubs, basin, and shower doors look dirty, dingy, and disgusting. It’s also harder to clean because the buildup creates a tough barrier.
- Drinking water — Hard water will have unpleasant tastes that some would describe as “earthy”.
- Skin and Hair — Yes, hard water even affects your skin and hair. Hard water can cause a mineral buildup in your hair and it can even make your skin feel coarse and scratchy. It also impacts your shampoo and soap because it’s harder to lather up with hard water.
How Water Softeners Work
Water softening mitigation systems remove mineral buildup in your water supply through the use of filtration and purification. Environmentally safe and consumable chemicals like activated carbon, sodium, and potassium are introduced throughout the filtration process. These safe chemicals combined with ion filters work to eliminate calcium, magnesium, and other contaminants from your water.
Water Softener Installation in Port St. Lucie
Got hard water? Get help and you’ll be on your way to better water in your home. Contact the punctual plumbers at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Port St. Lucie. Our skilled team of plumbing professionals is eager to assist you with expert water softener installation.