Picture it: you’re enjoying a nice, hot, relaxing shower when you start to realize your shower is turning into a bath! If you’ve ever experienced pooling water in your shower, you are not alone. The good news is there are methods to alleviate your clogged shower drain using items found around the house.
Why is My Shower Drain Clogged?
You may be asking yourself why the shower drain is clogged and there are a few causes. The most common causes for a blocked shower drain are:
- Soap scum
- Hard water deposits
- Tree Roots in pipes
Ways to Clear a Backed up Shower Drain
There are methods to clear a clogged shower drain all without having to leave the house.
- Boiling Water. Boil a pot of water and slowly pour down the drain using a funnel to control the flow and minimize splashing.
- Baking Soda & Vinegar Solution. A natural and toxic-free way to clear your clogged shower drain is to use baking soda and vinegar. Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain and wait a few minutes. Then pour a cup of vinegar down the drain and wait a few hours and pour boiling water to flush out the solution.
- Plunger. Place the rubber cup around the drain and fill the tub/stall with just enough water to cover the cup. Move the plunger in a straight up-and-down motion to free the clog. Flush with water after you plunge.
- Remove Debris. Remove the drain lid and inspect with a flashlight to see if you can spot the clog. Wearing gloves, carefully remove the debris and then run water through. You can also try using a wire hanger to hook the gunk and remove it that way.
- Liquid Solution. If none of the other methods worked, you can always try liquid drainer products. Please follow the instructions on the bottle and use caution as these chemicals are highly toxic.
My Drain is Still Clogged. What Do I Do Now?
If you’ve tried these home methods and your shower drain is still not draining or works for a while but quickly clogs again, it’s time to call in the professionals. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers expert solutions and fast service, so you can get back to your routine. Learn more about our drain clog and jetting & cleaning services. Also, check out our affordable and valuable protection plans, so you’ll never be caught off guard by expensive repairs!