If you’re a new homeowner, property owner, or are looking to become handier around the house, we’ve put together a list of must-have plumbing tools to keep on hand.
- Plunger. This one is the most important tool to have at your disposal. In fact, anyone with a toilet needs to have a plunger on hand. Whether you’re in a home, an apartment, or a mobile home, if you have a toilet that flushes, you need a plunger.
- Wrench. An adjustable wrench does the trick for many jobs when it comes to plumbing. Often times, a simple adjustable wrench can handle jobs like adjusting fixtures, securing toilet seats, loosening or tightening pipe connectors, and more. If you can opt for a wrench set that can help you reach more places and handle more tasks.
- Caulk Gun and Caulk. Caulk helps seal plumbing fixtures like sinks, toilets, baths, and showers to the floor and walls. It’s important to keep the caulk in your bathroom and kitchen fresh and sealed to avoid mildew and water damage. Keep matching caulk on hand to make repairs as necessary and you can even wrap the tip with duct tape to use at a later point.
- Hand Auger. A hand auger is a great tool to have when your plunger cannot undo a clog. An auger works using a hand crank to snake in a line to dislodge the clog.
- Long-Nosed Pliers. Great for in small or hard to reach areas, pliers are a helpful tool for picking out hair or adjusting fittings.
- Thread Seal Tape. Thread seal tape is used for many plumbing jobs such as pipe connection and showerheads. If you’re loosened a pipe for repair, make sure you seal it back with tape, especially if the pipes are old or haven’t been maintained. That way, ensure your pipes are sealed properly to avoid leaks down the road.
- Duct Tape. While duct tape is not a long term or waterproof solution, it can help when you’re in a pinch. Use it to plug up a leak before the plumber arrives to make repairs.
All of the tools listed above are easily found in any hardware store and are all affordable to own. You don’t need to be a plumber yourself to use these tools. On the other hand, you should always be cautious when it comes to making your own repairs on plumbing as minor mistakes can become major headaches.
Local Plumber in Nashville
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is your local, punctual plumber in Nashville. Our skilled plumbers are available 24/7 to assist you. No matter how big or small, give us a call! Schedule plumbing service with us today.