When you’re shopping for a new home, your mind is likely preoccupied with what color you will paint your living room and where you will put all of your furniture. However, at Ben Franklin, we know you should check off several items on your plumbing basics checklist to save yourself from costly repairs and plumbing problems later on down the road.
The Kitchen and the Bathroom
As part of your plumbing basics checklist, you should do the following while you’re inspecting the kitchen and the bathroom of the home you want to buy:
• Make sure that drainage pipes are not showing any signs of leaks at their joints or at the bottom of the P-trap.
• Double-check that all of the supply line valves can be turned off and on easily and that they don’t leak when you activate them.
• Look at the supply lines leading to the toilets in the home. Make sure that they don’t leak and that the valves can be turned on and off.
• Watch out for signs of warping and cracking around the dishwasher, sinks, bathtubs, showers, and toilets.
• As you walk around the home, listen for any sounds of dripping water or of the water supply to the toilet running constantly.
In addition to the kitchen and the bathroom, look for signs of water damage or leaking pipes in the basement, laundry room, and any other room in the house that might contain water pipes.
Give Us a Call
If you need help understanding these plumbing basics as you inspect the home you want to buy, we’re here for you at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas to make sure that the home’s plumbing system is in good working order. To receive help and guidance during this crucial inspection, don’t hesitate to contact us by calling (972) 895-7775.