Those who have experienced a flooded basement can recognize the value of a sump pump. A sump pump system consists of a pump, a sump pit, and a drain. Water collects in the sump pit, and when it reaches a specific level raising a float, the automatic sump pump starts, and pumps the water safely away from the home through a drain. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg if you need assistance with your sump pump in your basement.
When a sump pump fails, it is essential to receive prompt sump pump repair to ensure a dry house and foundation. The alternative to unchecked flooding is potentially catastrophic damage to your home. You can consider a sump pump as extra protection for your home against flooding, and you may wonder what you can do when it fails.
There are several ways a sump pump can fail, let’s look at the more common causes of failure, and how to ensure your home never floods:
- Power Outage is the most common reason a sump pump can fail to remove flood water from your home. It isn’t uncommon for power failures to occur during storms when heavy rain is occurring. Homeowners have two options to prevent flooding in this situation.
The first is to install a backup generator either the lower cost manual activation, or a whole house generator that automatically engages during an outage.
The second is to provide a battery backup sump pump to take over when the primary fails. A battery backup provides the additional benefit of assisting the primary when unusually heavy flooding threatens to overwhelm the primary. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide the installation for you.
- Electrical failure of the sump pump may occur due to power surges, which is common when lightning knocks out the power, or damages the pump. Furthermore, a backup generator won’t be of any assistance with a damaged sump pump. The best way to protect the sump pump from an electrical failure is to provide surge protection devices at the power meter, the home’s electrical panel and a surge protection device at the pump plug. Even this is not a full guarantee that lightning won’t cause damage, for this reason a battery powered backup sump pump is extra insurance against flooding.
- Maintenance is required to ensure the sump pump operates when you need it. Furthermore, while the manufacturer’s recommendation for operating the pump varies, the minimum should be just before the rainy season arrives. Others recommend every three months, and frequent testing of the pump better provides extra insurance it will operate when required.
Sump pump maintenance consists of:
- Cleaning debris from the screen and sump pit
- Checking the cord to ensure it is in good shape and ensuring it is plugged into a GFCI outlet.
- Ensuring the pump has not tilted or fallen to one side which can prevent operation and/or result in damage to the pump.
- Periodically pour a bucket of water into the pit to ensure the pump starts automatically and the water is quickly pumped away. If the pump doesn’t start, have it serviced by Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg.
- Visually inspect the drain for discharge water when testing the pump. If you have poured water into the pit and the water is not being discharged, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg.
- A submersible pump will require periodic removal from the pit for cleaning of the grate underneath. The pumping action of the pump itself may pull debris into the grate and can result in damage or failure of the sump pump.
- Issues with the discharge pipe from clogging or freezing can prevent the pump from performing its job and can result in damage to the pump. A grated cover will protect the discharging end of the pipe from animals and clogging due to the buildup of debris. When a frozen discharge pipe is a potential problem Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide a solution for you.
The sump pump is essential for basement with a flooding or other water collection problem. A sump pump requires the specialized knowledge of a licensed plumber to provide the professional installation. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide the service for you from start to finish, ensuring a proper installation, and effective performance. In addition, our plumbers provide a wide range of plumbing services, and are available for your plumbing emergencies 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. We serve Houston, Katy, Sugar Land and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Houston, Texas
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg offers professional repairs, installation and service for plumbing in Katy, TX. We have on-call emergency plumbers twenty four hours a day, seven days a week and three hundred and sixty five days a year for your convenience. Our experienced and friendly experts will handle your plumbing in Katy, TX and provides on time plumbing related services to not only Houston but Katy, Rosenberg and Sugar Land Texas also. If you are in need of a professional plumber to make repairs, maintenance, or installation services then you need to look no further than Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Houston, Texas.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is a leading local plumbing company with high standards of service that you can rely on. When you contact us you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving the best plumbing services in the area. Our commitment to service and excellence is reflected in our rock solid A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you have a plumbing related problem in your home or business and you need help, do not hesitate to reach out to us today. One of our professional and friendly plumbers will take care of your plumbing in Katy, TX and will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and schedule an appointment with you to assess the problem and resolve it at your earliest convenience. Give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg a call today if you are looking for professional plumbing in Katy, TX. If there’s any delay, it’s you we pay.