Providing the proper care to a water heater will extend its lifespan, and assist in maintaining the optimal performance and efficiency. Maintenance is especially essential in areas with hard water. A routine water heater flush is a simple task, and will assist in accomplishing these goals. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide the plumbing services you need.
The water heater should be fully flushed at least once per year. However, bi-annual flushing provides the best results in areas with hard water. In areas with exceptionally hard water, a full flush Is recommended, followed by every 2-3 months removal of 2-3 quarts of water. Flushing removes the layer of sediment that collects in the bottom of the tank causing problems and reducing the lifespan. However, if you’re uncomfortable with the procedure, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide the service for you.
Reduces Energy Bills
As the layer of sediment in the bottom of the water heater increases, the appliance is required to work harder, and longer to heat water. Consequently, this drives the energy bill up, and increases wear on the appliance, reducing its lifespan.
Extends the Life Cycle of a Water Heater
As sediment builds up, it acts as insulation on the bottom of the tank, causing the glass liner to overheat and crack. Once this occurs, water is in direct contact with the metal tank, and rust sets in. It isn’t long until the tank will begin leaking, and can result in serious damage to your home and its foundation.
Routine flushing helps to prevent the process that can lead to rust and corrosion. When you schedule professional water heater maintenance from Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg, a water heater inspection is provided that can identify problems early, enabling the plumber to provide water heater repair in Houston before additional damage occurs.
Hot Water Heater Flush
Use the following instructions to flush the water heater of damaging sediment. However, if you are uncomfortable with the procedure, or if it has been greater than two years since the appliance was flushed, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for a professional water heater flush.
- Turn off the water heater according to type:
- Electric water heaters: turn off the circuit breaker labeled for the water heater in the home’s electrical panel by pushing it to off.
- Gas water heaters: turn the gas setting to pilot. Check your owner’s manual for specific instructions.
- Turn off the cold water supply.
- Connect a garden hose to the drain valve located near the bottom of the water heater. Place a thick towel underneath the valve in the event it leaks. Check the hose ensuring the rubber gasket is in place.
- Place the other end of the hose out of a door or window to drain onto the ground. Ensure the hot water will not drain on people, pets, plants, electrical outlets,or other electrical products. If you are unable to drain water outdoors, use a bucket and empty often, turning the drain valve off while you empty it.
- Open the nearest hot water tap. This will allow the water to drain out of the water heater.
- Open the drain valve slowly using an oven mitt or towel. Water should start coming out of the hose. Use caution, as the water will be hot.
- Inspect the draining water for sediment. When you no longer see sediment and the water is clear, the flush is complete.
- Close the drain valve and cautiously disconnect the garden hose using a towel or oven mitt. Hold the hose up to prevent hot water from running onto you. Turn off the faucet you opened. If the drain valve leaks after the procedure try tightening it. If the leakage continues contact a plumber for water heater repair.
- Turn the cold water supply back on. Wait 10 minutes for the water heater to fill. Open the nearest faucet to purge air from the plumbing system.
- Turn the water heater back on.
After providing a full flush to the water heater, remove 2-3 quarts of water from the drain valve every 2 to 3 months. However, if you are tired of the maintenance, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can install a water softener providing protection for the entire home.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Houston, Texas
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg offers professional repairs, installation and service for plumbing in Houston, TX. We have on-call emergency plumbers twenty four hours a day, seven days a week and three hundred and sixty five days a year for your convenience. Our experienced and friendly experts will handle your plumbing in Houston, TX and provides on time plumbing related services to not only Houston but Katy, Rosenberg and Sugar Land Texas also. If you are in need of a professional plumber to make repairs, maintenance, or installation services then you need to look no further than Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is a leading local plumbing company with high standards of service that you can rely on. When you contact us you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving the best plumbing services in the area. Our commitment to service and excellence is reflected in our rock solid A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you have a plumbing related problem in your home or business and you need help, do not hesitate to reach out to us today. One of our professional and friendly plumbers will take care of your plumbing in Houston, TX and will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and schedule an appointment with you to assess the problem and resolve it at your earliest convenience. Give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg a call today if you are looking for professional plumbing in Houston, TX. If there’s any delay, it’s you we pay.