Plumbers run into some common plumbing problems more than others. Over time, the components of a plumbing system will experience wear and tear. From pipes to fixtures and faucets, nothing can escape the effects of time and wear. The following provides an overview of common plumbing problems and what you should do to ensure properly functioning plumbing in Katy.
Slow or Clogged Drains
A clog in a sink, toilet, shower or tub may be cleared with the household plunger. Using the proper plunger is essential as flat bottom sink plungers will not work properly on a toilet. A flange plunger is required for toilets to ensure the best seal possible.
However, if you seem to be using the plunger too frequently, there is a problem within the home’s plumbing requiring the services of professional Katy plumbers.
A common cause of a clogged bathroom sink, tub or shower is hair going down the drain. Shaving is the typical cause in the bathroom sink, and using a basin to rinse the razor then tossing the water outside is the preventative solution. Use a drain screen in the tub and shower to prevent hair from clogging the drain. Hair is one of the toughest substances on earth, and can survive intact inside a drain for years. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber for a thorough drain cleaning, and use drain screens to significantly reduce the chance of drain clogs.
In the kitchen, food and grease are the biggest causes of a slow or clogged drain. A drain screen will assist in reducing the amount of food particulates that go down the drain. However, special care is required to prevent common grease clogs. Never pour fats, oil or grease down the drain, not even if you have a kitchen disposal. Grease solidifies as it cools, and it will be well on its way to solid before it can exist your drain and/or sewer lines. Once this occurs, a clog that can only be removed by hydro jetting or pipe replacement has begun to form.
Allow fat, oil or grease to cool, and place in a sealed container and into the trash. If a recycling center is near you take it there where it will eventually be processed into biodiesel fuel.
Leaky faucets run up the water bill, and can cause damage to the sinks finish if left to drip long enough. There is also the potential for that one day you will turn the faucet on wide open, and won’t be able to shut it off. The typical cause of a dripping faucet is worn components, a washer or a valve seat for example. While it depends on the faucet you have, many of them are complicated, requiring special tools and the knowledge of repair. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s Katy plumbers for repair of your plumbing needs.
Repair of leaking pipes required the knowledge and skill to provide repair on different types of pipe material. Contact a plumber for repair and/or repiping of your home’s plumbing. Don’t delay repair as leaks can result in serious, and costly damage to your home and its foundation.
Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can really be stressful to endure, while you wait on a sink to fill, or find you have too little pressure to rinse the shampoo from your hair. Occasionally, low water pressure is related to the supplier providing repair on the water system, a broken water main, or rarely, some suppliers simply don’t use strong enough pumps for it reach the distance, and sometimes the elevation required. Otherwise, low water pressure will be due to problems within your home’s plumbing. Try the following tips before calling a plumber:
- If the problem is located at one location only such as a sink or shower, check the aerator. On most faucets it simply screws off for cleaning. Hard water can cause clogging of aerators and shower heads. Soak the aerator in white vinegar for a few hours, then scrub the remaining residue off with a soft toothbrush, or you can simply replace it as aerators are cheap. A shower head can also be cleaned with a vinegar soak, although you first need to test an inconspicuous area to ensure the finish won’t be damaged. A water softener can prevent damage from hard water to your home’s plumbing.
- A water leak is a common cause of low water pressure. If you suspect a leak, contact Katy plumbers for water leak repair.
- When the water supplied to your home has a high water pressure, a pressure-reducing valve (PRV) is recommended in order to reduce the pressure and prevent damage to the plumbing system. Unfortunately, when a PRV fails, typically due to corrosion, either low low water pressure, or high water pressure is likely to occur.
- Check the shut off valve on the main water supply, typically located at the location where the water enters the home. Check to ensure the lever or the valve is open on the water meter. It is possible someone turned them off and forgot to turn them back on.
- If your home has outdated galvanized pipes, rust and corrosion can restrict the water flow. The inside of the pipe becomes blocked due to years of rust and hard water mineral buildup. When corrosion occurs, the pipe requires replacement of the home’s plumbing in Katy.