Repiping is a project you should only let a licensed and professional plumber take care of. All plumbing will eventually break down requiring replacement due to damaging leaks, restricted flow, and frequent plumbing repair. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg will repipe your home with as little interruption, and inconvenience as possible. If you have questions about the variety of pipe materials, our plumbers can assist you. Contact our licensed plumbers today to schedule repiping or other services for your home’s Katy plumbing.
The following is a brief overview of common pipe materials, including copper, PEX, CPC, and PVC. Copper pipe is a long-standing favorite offering a number of advantages, including:
- Copper pipe possesses bacteriostatic properties enabling the pipe to inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- Will not rust or deteriorate in the outdoor environment, and resists corrosion. It does not deteriorate as a result of UV light outdoors as plastic pipe can. However, water with an acidic pH may increase corrosion.
- It is a fully recyclable material.
- Copper offers some flexibility for installation.
- Copper withstands natural disasters, such as earthquakes, better than many other pipe materials.
- Copper pipe resists freezing with outdoor installation below the frost line. However, exposed pipe will require insulation.
- Has a lifespan of 50 to 75 years under normal conditions.
PEX pipe (cross-linked polyethylene) is a popular choice for Katy plumbing for numerous reasons. It offers superior flexibility, reducing the number of required fittings. Available in rolls, long pipe runs are possible without fittings, reducing areas of potential leaks, and reducing installation time for the installation of your Katy plumbing. Additional advantages include:
- Fittings are attached using a specialized crimping tool, eliminating the need for solder or glue.
- PEX is capable of 90-degree turns without elbows, facilitating installation in tight spaces.
- Reduces heat transfer, consequently saving energy and providing an advantage on long pipe runs where other types of pipe would allow the water temperature to have cooled.
- The PEX system provides a shutoff valve for each supply line, providing the ability to shut off water to the affected area only, while maintaining a water supply to the remainder of the home.
- PEX is also resistant to hard water buildup that can clog other types of piping.
- PEX, as a flexible pipe material, it can tolerate slight expansion and contraction, and though it can freeze, it is less likely to do so. However, use foam insulation for PEX located in areas vulnerable to cold, such as walls lacking insulation, and unheated attics or basements.
- With the use of adapters PEX can be used with PVC or copper pipe
- NSF International certified for water purity.
- PEX provides a cost-effective solution for the re-piping of your home’s plumbing in Arlington.
Disadvantages of PEX
- Although PEX tolerates some expansion and contraction due to freezing, it will freeze, and should not be used outdoors. Furthermore, it is vulnerable to deterioration from the sun’s ultraviolet light. PEX can only be used for indoor plumbing in Arlington.
- PEX is not recyclable.
- Due to its potential for absorption, PEX cannot be used where contamination may occur, such as pesticides.
- PEX cannot be directly connected to a water heater. However, PEX can be connected to PVC or copper pipe, which can be connected to the water heater.
CPVC and PVC Pipe
CPVC and PVC are plastic pipe that provides a durable and cost effective solution for repiping. CPVC is rated for hot water use, while PVC is compatible for cold water. The advantages of CPVC and PVC pipe include:
- PVC and CPVC pipe do not conduct electricity, and are immune to the electrochemical reactions caused by acids, bases, and salts that can corrode metal pipe.
- Is flame resistant to 850 degrees.
The Benefits of Repiping
Repiping with a modern pipe material improves water quality, and provides a reliable water supply without the frequent leaks common with worn pipes. You can count on a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg services for quality plumbing. Our plumbers strictly adhere to the plumbing code, meeting or exceeding the industry standards. In addition, a repipe will increase your home’s value, and provide a desirable factor with potential buyers when you plan to sell in the near future.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg licensed plumbers offer expert Katy plumbing services for your plumbing. Our professional plumbers will be glad to assist you in the selection of a pipe material right for your household, and your budget. We serve Houston, Katy, and the surrounding areas.