Natural gas is a popular and efficient fuel for heating, cooking and producing hot water. When professionally installed, natural gas is relatively safe. However, when a natural gas leak occurs, it is extremely dangerous. Knowing the signs of a gas leak and what to do can help to keep you and your family safe. When you suspect a gas leak, call 911, your gas supplier and Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for professional gas line repair in Katy.
Furthermore, only use a gas certified, licensed plumber for installation and gas line repair in Katy for the highest assurance of your safety. Benjamin Franklin plumbers in Katy adhere to the highest safety and service standards of the industry.
The most common sign of a gas leak is the distinct odor of rotten eggs. The scent is added to natural gas to make it more detectable, as in its natural state, natural gas has neither odor nor taste. The following are the potential signs of a gas leak:
- A rotten egg odor
- Dead, dying or discolored vegetation without an explanation
- Debris, leaves or soil blowing in the air from the ground
- Bubbling in wet areas or standing water
- Flames, indicating a leak has ignited
- Damaged gas fittings
- Exposed pipeline after a disaster
- A blowing, rushing, whistling, roaring or hissing sound
Indications for Gas Line Repair in Katy
- Do not attempt to locate the leak yourself, or to provide gas line repair in Katy, leave it to the experts.
- Do not turn any switches on or off, or other electrical devices, appliances, or battery operated devices. Even attempting to use a cell phone can result in an explosion.
- Never strike an open flame or smoke in the presence of a gas leak.
Call Before You Dig
Each year, gas lines are damaged from digging and excavating by contractors and homeowners alike. Occasionally, breaching a gas pipeline results in an explosion. Call ahead of planned jobs to have gas lines located and marked by the gas provider. You can also call 811 for the free service.
Frequent problems with a pilot light may indicate a gas leak. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber for gas line repair in Katy.
It is an Emergency
A gas leak is a serious emergency. The danger of a gas leak includes explosion, fire and suffocation. An explosion may occur from the tiniest spark. Call 911, the gas provider and a Benjamin Franklin plumber for gas line repair in Katy. We offer 24 hour emergency plumbing services.
Natural Gas Safety in a Gas Leak
- When you suspect a gas leak, evacuate the building, and leave the area immediately. Once you are a safe distance away, and can no longer smell gas, call 911, and the gas supplier. As you exit the building, leave the door open behind you, however, don’t take the time to open windows. You don’t want to be in the building if an explosion were to occur.
- Do not turn on or off any switches, any electrical device or appliance, or battery operated devices. Even attempting to use a cell phone may result in an explosion.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a potential danger of all fossil fuels, including natural gas. All homes with any gas using appliance should have carbon monoxide detectors installed. It is recommended to place one on each floor, and near all sleeping areas. Remember to check the batteries along with those of the smoke alarm once per month.
Additional Natural Gas Safety Tips
- Only use a qualified, licensed professional plumber to provide gas line installation or gas line repair in Katy.
- Have a professional plumber provide annual maintenance on the gas water heater, the plumber will also inspect the ventilation flue during maintenance.
- To avoid damage to the stove and the risk of carbon monoxide buildup in the home, do not use a gas oven for heat. In addition, use the exhaust vent hood fan to remove CO2 when cooking.
- Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater without proper ventilation. This includes camp style heaters and camp style cooking stoves intended for outdoor use.
When a gas leak is suspected, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing licensed plumbers for prompt gas line repair in Katy. Our gas certified, plumbers have the expertise to meet and/or exceed the industry standards. Ben Franklin serves Katy, Sugar Land, Houston and the surrounding areas. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.