Is your water staining your tub or sink? Over time, water can cause unsightly stains in tubs, sinks and tile in the shower. It can be difficult to clean bath fixtures from normal soiling and soap scum, and many people do not realize that the water itself may be causing staining. Minerals in the water can cause stains, and over time, cleaning becomes harder as fixtures age. If your water is causing stains in your home, call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for the installation of a water softener.
Water stains can be reduced or removed by soaking with lemon juice, and scrubbing with a soft brush. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary solution, they will be back, and that is because they are a sign of a much larger problem.
The minerals commonly behind the stains are also the cause of spotted dishes in the dishwasher, dry skin, dull hair, clogged water pipes, unsightly buildup on faucets and showerheads, and the reduced performance and lifespan of appliances such as the water heater and dishwasher.
The solution is to contact the plumbers in Katy for installation of a water softener. A water softener is plumbed into your home’s water supply system. The appliance holds the minerals with sodium or potassium in a process called ion exchange.
The water softener contains a mineral tank filled with small polystyrene beads that carry a negative charge. Calcium and magnesium, however, carry positive charges. As opposites attract, the minerals will cling to the beads as the water passes through the mineral tank.
Homeowner’s often install water filtration systems expecting removal of minerals. Water filtration systems can only remove mineral solids, not even reverse osmosis can remove dissolved minerals. A water softening system is required to remove dissolved minerals from water. A water softener removes the calcium and magnesium that cause hard water by replacing them with either, sodium or potassium. Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Katy can provide the professional installation that you need.
How a Water Softener Can Help You
Hard water can cause build up in pipes, and water using appliances. The water heater is commonly recognized as a victim of hard water, experiencing a reduced lifespan and poor efficiency due to the effects of mineral build-up and sediment. In addition, hard water can cause a reduced lifespan in copper pipe, creating pinhole leaks throughout. The installation of a water softener will prevent the buildup and damage to your home’s plumbing in Katy caused by hard water. The installation of a water softener can help you and your home by providing the following:
- A water softener prevents the spotting that hard water commonly causes on glassware in the dishwasher.
- Laundry is cleaner, softer and lasts longer, while colors and whites will stay brighter without the graying hard water causes.
- In the shower, water softening provides softer, cleaner hair, and less drying of the skin. In addition, a water softener reduces the amount of soap and shampoo required.
- Stops the damage to a water heater, and extends its lifespan. Hard water can reduce the lifespan of the water heater by 33%. In addition, hard water increases the need for maintenance and repairs.
- A water softener reduces blockage, corrosion, and build-up of minerals in the home’s plumbing in Katy. For example, hard water causes the blockage of the toilet ports, leading to insufficient flushing action. A water softener will stop the issues related to hard water.
- A water softener will reduce the deposit of soap scum and mineral build-up on tubs, shower doors, faucets, showerheads and walls.
- Water softening improves your ability to clean the home effectively by enabling products to clean and perform as intended.
A water softener can be used with water filtration, forming a water conditioning system. Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Katy can provide the professional installation, you need to ensure the best water available.
If you would like to stop the damage hard water is causing in your home, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg to schedule the installation of a water softener. Our professional plumbers in Katy provide expert plumbing repair, installation and service of residential and commercial plumbing in Katy.