A slab leak occurs under a home’s concrete slab foundation. The leak is a serious situation, placing your home and its foundation at risk of significant damage. The pipes that transport water into your home, and wastewater and sewage out, are located under the slab. When leaks occur in your home’s plumbing in Houston, prompt service by a qualified, licensed plumber will stop the damage. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg offers experienced, licensed plumbers to provide expert repair.
The longer you delay repair of a slab leak, the more costly the damage will be. In fact, serious damage may have already occurred before you are aware of a leak. Often, the first indication of a leak in your home’s plumbing in Houston is an abnormally high water bill.
The following indications can point to a possible slab leak:
- A slab leak can saturate floors and carpet, crack tiles, ruin linoleum and hardwood. Depending upon the severity of the leak, water can pool on the floor.
- You may hear running water even though no water is in use.
- If a hot water supply pipe is leaking, you may notice a warm spot on the floor.
- A water leak can make your home smell musty as mold develops. When the leak is in a sewer line, your home may smell like sewage.
- Water can enter into the walls, saturating drywall quickly, where mold is likely to develop on and inside the walls. Mold is a health concern, and especially so in those with asthma or other respiratory illness, allergies and immune system disorders. Cracked or soggy drywall and damaged or peeling paint is a sign of a leak in the home’s plumbing in Houston.
- A slab leak can damage the foundation, which contains steel reinforcement and concrete. The foundation can move, sink, and crack. Furthermore, when water reaches the steel reinforcement, rust develops weakening the foundation further.
- A leak in the water main that connects your home to the water meter can cause damage to the lawn and its landscaping, as well as drive the water bill up. With the potential for so much damage, it is to the homeowner’s benefit to have a plumber repair the leak to your home’s plumbing in Houston.
If you suspect a water leak, but do not see any signs of it, providing the water meter test can help to verify if a water leak is present.
Water Meter Test
Select a time when other family members are away (to ensure no water is used) and write down the numbers on the meter. Ensure sprinklers or other automatic systems will not run during this time. Recheck the meter in one hour. If there is a change in the numbers, you may have a water leak. If you are unable to locate the leak, it is time to call a licensed plumber. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide leak detection services and expert repair of your plumbing in Houston.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg utilizes state-of-the-art leak detection equipment for locating slab leaks in your home’s plumbing in Houston. Our experienced and professional plumbers will locate the leak and provide the expert sewer or water line repair in Houston that is required. Our work is always 100% satisfaction guaranteed.