If you are handy around the house, most plumbing projects are within your capabilities. However, the experts at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas know the key to DIY plumbing is doing it correctly and safely. Although we commend homeowners who complete their own plumbing projects, it’s always better to be safe than sorry to protect the plumbing system within your home.
Basic Plumbing Guidelines
If you run into a plumbing problem and are getting ready to fix it, make sure that you abide by the following DIY plumbing guidelines for success:
• The first and most important rule to follow is to always shut off the water in your home. This will make sure the water stops flowing and you don’t end up with a disaster on your hands.
• If the job will require you to get a little bit wet, stay safe and stay away from any electrical fixtures while you’re working.
• Be sure you know which pipes are which, including gas pipes and pipes that are designated to carry hot water.
• Wear long sleeves, gloves, and eyewear to protect yourself as you work.
• Make sure that you use the right tools for the job and don’t try to make do with what you can find in your garage.
• Temporarily seal any drain lines you’re working with by plugging them with a rag to prevent hazardous or smelly gases from infiltrating the area.
If at any point throughout the duration of the project you start to feel uncomfortable, stop working and consult a professional for advice.
You Don’t Need to Do the Job Alone
When you’re in the middle of a DIY plumbing project and either run into an obstacle or just don’t feel like you know what you’re doing anymore, don’t hesitate to call us at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas for plumbing tips and advice. To get in touch with us, call us.