Whether you have a low-flow toilet, a dual-flush toilet or you have a traditional model, if your toilet doesn’t fill with the proper amount of water that probably means you have a flush valve leak. If you have this issue, you could be wasting a substantial amount of both water and money. There are a few adjustments that you can make to fix the problem, but if you’d rather not try this on your own you can always get in touch with the professionals with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Dallas.
- First, make sure your toilet is getting enough water to start with. Check the supply valve and make sure it’s turned all the way on.
- Remove the lid of the tank and put it to the side. Place it on a towel or something similarly soft so it doesn’t scratch your floor or anything else.
- Look at the fill tube and check for clogs. It may have become obstructed due to water deposits. If necessary, clean the tube or replace it. This is also a good time to check other components for any damage.
- Check the float valve to make sure it’s not set too low. If it is, the flapper valve will shut too early, which will keep your tank from filing properly. Use a crescent wrench to remove any nuts that may be securing the float valve and adjust if needed.
- Make sure that the chain is properly connected to the flapper valve from the flushing arm. In many instances, when a toilet doesn’t fill with enough water this is the culprit.
- Push the flush lever all the way down while looking at the chain. If there’s too much slack the flapper valve will not fully open. If there’s not enough slack, the valve will not be able to fully close.
- If the flapper valve is worn or damaged, replace it.
We know that it can be very frustrating when a toilet doesn’t fill with enough water. If you are dealing with this situation and you’d rather not try a repair on your own, get in touch with a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Dallas expert at (972) 895-7775 or contact us online to set an appointment. We can handle any sort of plumbing repair issue you may face.