If you have a sump pump, it might be an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ situation. You leave it to its work and don’t think about it much. However, just like any other machinery in your home, your sump pump needs the occasional service to keep it working well. Generally, you should check on it every three months so it’ll run when heavy storms arrive. However, you should also give it an especially thorough cleaning once per year. Let the experts at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing tell you how to perform annual sump pump maintenance.
Here’s what to do when you perform annual sump pump maintenance:
- First, you’ll want to disconnect the sump pump from its power supply and remove it from its basin.
- Now that the pump is out of the pit, check the pit’s grate and clear out any debris in there.
- Some pumps need lubrication. Check your owner’s manual to see if it does and what lubricant to use.
- Now, check the power cord for signs of wear and the power source for a ground fault circuit interrupter. If there’s no GFCI, ask one of our plumbers about having one installed.
- Next, go outside and check all of the drainage pipes. Their joints should be tight and the pipes themselves should be clear. In addition, they shouldn’t have residual water when they drain and it should extend far enough to take water away from your home’s foundation.
- Almost done! Now reinstall the sump pump, plug it back in, and pour about five gallons of water into the basin to ensure the float switch works properly.
If any of these steps seem too difficult for you, call us today! We’ll be happy to help you give your sump pump the maintenance it needs.
Why choose Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for my home’s plumbing needs?
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides the people around Springfield, MO with all varieties of high-quality plumbing services. Our company offers 24/7 emergency plumbing repairs and an on-time guarantee, so you can be sure we’ll be there for you when you need it most. In addition, our company is known for employment of military personnel. On August 29, 2016, Frank Elston, owner of Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, received the National Freedom Award for his outstanding treatment of military employees. This award is the highest recognition by the U.S. government to civilian employers. Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today if you need assistance with your annual sump pump maintenance!