Every day, you use water in your home – in fact, the average family consumes 300 gallons per day for drinking, cooking, washing your clothes, running your dishwasher, and taking a shower.
But how much do you know about what is actually in your family’s water?
You’ve no doubt heard of Brita® water filters for drinking water. Brita® is known as the #1 recognized water company offering products that include pitchers, water jugs, kettles, and tap attachments with disposable, recyclable filters.
You may be less familiar with Brita PRO®, the arm of the company that makes whole-home water filters and water softeners.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is proud to offer an exclusive partnership with the Brita PRO® Whole Home Water Filtration System, which will give you peace of mind about the water in your home.
Read on to learn more about common impurities found in water, and why whole-home water filtration is worth the investment.
What’s in your water?
Many communities have impurities in their municipal water supply, but you wouldn’t know about them because most are colorless, odorless, and tasteless. But here are a few common impurities:
- Total Trihalomethanes: These are the most common contaminants found in tap water. They are formed when chlorine combines with organic matter in water. There is greater absorption in the body through hot tap water, such as showers and dishwashing.
- Lead: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) both say there’s no safe level of lead in the human body, and it’s especially damaging in children.
- PFAS: Called the “forever chemicals,” per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are man-made substances that never break down — and a growing body of evidence associates them with adverse health effects.
- Manganese: This is healthy in small amounts but can be toxic at higher levels, especially in children.
- Nitrates: Common in rural areas, nitrates in household water at high levels can be dangerous to health, especially for infants and pregnant women, according to the CDC.
- Chloramine: According to Citizens Concerned About Chloramine (CCAC), this widely used water treatment chemical has not been adequately studied for health effects, which it says can include a variety of respiratory, immune system, skin, digestive and gastric, kidney, and blood problems.
- Arsenic: This is used in industrial processing of metals, glass, pigments, textiles, paper, adhesives, and other products, and is highly toxic in its inorganic form. It’s considered one of the most significant chemical contaminants in drinking water globally.
Drinking water isn’t the only way you can ingest these impurities, either.
- Sheets, clothing, and towels absorb impurities in the wash and can cause irritation for you and your family.
- Residue that’s left behind from your dishwasher can cause your family to ingest potential dangers.
- Water through your shower and faucet are obvious spots for hazards to reach you. However, you can also inhale impurities through steam.
What you’ll get with a Brita PRO® whole-home water filtration system
The Brita PRO® Whole-Home Water Filtration System comes with many benefits:
- Filtering all household water at the point of entry.
- Reducing particulate levels and suspended matter in your entire household water supply.
- Reducing new scale formation and aids in the removal of existing scale.
- Reducing chlorine levels along with other offensive tastes and odors in your entire household water supply.
- Keeping residue from impurities off your family’s clothes, bed linens, and dishes.
- Eliminating impurities in the steam and water in showers and baths.
The Brita PRO® Whole Home Water Filtration System meets multiple standards established by NSF International, including:
- Standards for reducing impurities such as chlorine.
- Requirements for minimum health effects for the chemical contaminants and impurities in drinking water systems.
- Procedures for the determination of lead content. Brita PRO® is the only provider to offer a system proven to remove 99.7% of water-borne lead.
Brita PRO® is the only provider that tests your water for all common impurities with an independent EPA-certified laboratory, customizes your filter media to address your specific issues, and then tests your water after installation to prove the system is working.
If you’re interested in installing a Brita PRO® Whole-Home Filtration System, check with your local franchise – services and products may vary by location. Or give us a call today at 1-877-BEN-1776. You can also contact us online.