September is National Preparedness Month – what better time to make sure your home is fully ready for any emergency that may strike?
We’ve teamed up with our sister brands One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning, Mister Sparky Electric, DRYmedic, and Screenmobile to help you stay prepared for disasters with some helpful tips for all around your home!
Preparing Your Home for Extreme Weather
Temperatures can be volatile, whatever the season, and it’s no surprise that heat waves and winter storms have become increasingly common. Taking proactive steps to prepare for extreme weather can help you minimize the risk of your HVAC system breaking down when you need it most.
- Schedule a professional HVAC inspection before a heat wave arrives. An expert technician can inspect your system, clean the filters, check for any leaks, and ensure all components are in proper working order.
- Ceiling fans and portable fans are an excellent supplement to your air conditioning system. They circulate the cool air, making you feel more comfortable without solely relying on your AC.
- Place protective covers over outdoor air conditioning units.
- Proper insulation and sealing can significantly impact the indoor temperature and energy efficiency of your home. Ensure your home is adequately insulated, especially in the attic, walls, and windows. Insulation helps keep the warm air inside and prevents the cold from seeping in.
By taking active steps to be prepared, you can navigate the challenges of extreme weather and enjoy a comfortable home, whatever the season has to offer. Contact One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning for all of your HVAC needs.
Don’t Get Shocked! Electrical Preparation Before a Storm
Being prepared for an electric outage in the event of a disaster means protecting appliances, panels, and devices from ruin. Here’s how to potentially avoid the loss of these items you depend on in your daily life:
- Invest in a portable generator or a stationary generator that is properly installed by a licensed electrician.
- Have a whole house surge protector installed so that when power comes back on, it doesn’t blast out the circuits.
- Call Mister Sparky to do a Safety Check throughout your home to see where there might be hidden risks when there is high wind, water, or the lights go out.
Contact Mister Sparky for a home inspection and tips on how to protect your appliances, devices, and electrical system in the event of a weather-related disaster.
How to Plan for a Flood
Whether it's caused by a hurricane storm surge or torrential rains, flash flooding can become a destructive force in an instant. If you live in an area with the potential for flooding, it’s important to plan ahead and know what to do in the event of such conditions. Use these tips to prepare for flooding:
- Connect a sump pump to your basement drain plumbing to help move floodwater to the outside of your home.
- Consider installing or relocating your home’s critical equipment like its HVAC system, water heater and electrical panel high off the ground so it has a better chance of surviving a flood.
- Seek coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program to reduce your liability to loss. Most homeowners' insurance policies don’t cover flood damage.
- Know the location of your water, gas, and electrical shut-off points. In the event of a flood, shutting off these utilities can prevent further damage and hazards.
If you’re looking for other opportunities to protect against flood damage, call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today!
And if your home has been damaged by a flood, contact the experts at DRYmedic. They’ll help restore your property and your peace of mind.
Secure Your Space
- Replace traditional security windows or window bars with quick-release security window screens. Using a custom-designed, ultra-secure push bar system, these screens give access to exit through the window should the need arise.
- Should you need to evacuate your home or business, rolling security shutters can secure your space and protect your belongings at the push of a button.
Take the first step towards safeguarding your home or business by contacting your local Screenmobile today!
Stay safe this month – and throughout the rest of the year!