Gas leaks can become really expensive if they aren’t detected in a timely manner. They bring with them increased fuel bills and can cause extensive damage. They are dangerous to the health of residents and may even cause an explosion if they are exposed to open flames.
Larger gas leaks can usually be detected more easily than smaller ones. The unpleasant smell that is added to natural gas directs most homeowners towards leaks. However, smaller leaks can go undetected for quite some time, which can be dangerous to the quality of air in the home.
Gas leaks add to the air pollution inside the house and can lead to a lot of health concerns for the residents. It is also very dangerous to neglect gas line repairs in Houston for too long. This is because they can cause an explosion if they are exposed to an open flame.
It is important to be able to perform gas leak detection at home as it can potentially save residents from a lot of harm. The sooner you recognize the signs, the faster you can call for gas line repairs in Houston to fix the problem.
Below, we have outlined a few details about gas leaks so you can detect them easily.
Why exactly do gas leaks occur?
Gas leaks emerge from a number of different reasons. These can develop into much larger leaks or complete pipe breaks, but most gas leaks are much smaller. They can occur because:
- Poor quality pipe fittings can corrode or gather rust over time making them weaker and more susceptible to damage
- Pipes can become loose if they weren’t fitted properly, which can cause gas to escape through the gaps in the joints
- Broken parts in badly maintained appliances can let gas leak through the seams. It is important to service old appliances to make sure they don’t allow such problems
- Tree roots can infiltrate pipe fittings causing leaks
- Earthquakes can cause gas line pipe bursts
- Cement slab shifts can put pressure on gas lines which causes leaks
How can you detect gas leaks?
Gas line pipes can deteriorate over time from rust or corrosion. It doesn’t matter if they are installed underground or over-ground, you will end up contacting professionals for gas line repairs in Houston.
The quicker you detect gas leaks, the faster you can fix them. This is important because gas leaks can be really harmful to you and your family members. There are some ways to detect gas leaks as listed below.
When gas is escaping the gas pipe, it can create a hissing sound. Such sounds are only audible if the gas leak is really big. This is why it is so important to call for gas line repairs in Houston immediately as large gas leaks can be very dangerous.
Rotten Egg Smell
Natural gas is odorless, but companies are instructed to add an unpleasant smell for easier detection. If you smell sulfur or rotten eggs, it could mean you have a gas leak in your house. Call an expert in gas line repairs in Houston to confirm whether you have any gas leaks in your home at once.
Underground gas leaks can spread through the soil, which can be really toxic for plants. Plants may begin to wither and die, without any real reason. This is because gas blocks oxygen from reaching the roots of these plants.
Mist or Fog
Unusual clouds of mist or fog may start to appear around the house due to gas leaks. When a gas line breaks, it can change the atmospheric pressure around the house. This only occurs in severe cases where gas lines have completely broken. Make sure you call a service for gas line repair in Houston at once because such a big break can be really dangerous.
Low Gas Pressure
Not enough gas will reach your appliances if there are gas leaks in your gas system. Keep an eye on your oven or heating system for malfunction. If they aren’t working properly, it may be time to call for gas line repairs in Houston.
High Energy Bills
Since your gas is leaking, there will be more demand at your house for fuel. This will cause a steady increase in the fuel bills of your home. If your consumption of gas is the same, but you are facing a steady increase in monthly fuel bills, it may be time to check for leaks.
Exposure to natural gas can result in all sorts of different health concerns. Natural gas is toxic if inhaled over a period of time. If you and your family are facing health issues, without any real reason, it might be due to gas leaks. Some symptoms that can occur from exposure to natural gas are:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Chest pains
- Light-headedness or dizziness
- Difficulty in breathing or irregular breathing
If one or more of these symptoms are experienced by you, without real cause, then call services for gas line repair in Houston.
What to do if you think you have a gas leak
It is important to take some precautions to ensure that you don’t compromise your health. There are a few steps you can take to ensure your safety.
- Open all the doors and windows in the house to ventilate the area
- Leave the vicinity at once until the issue is resolved
- Do not attempt to fix the issue yourself as that can make the situation worse. It might also expose you to toxic natural gas leading to health problems
- Do not use any lighters or matches in the area.
- Let the neighbors know you might have a potential gas leak so that they stay away from the area
- Close any electrical appliances to avoid electric sparks from igniting the gas leak
- Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for gas line repair in Houston at once to fix the gas line at once.