For homeowner’s with flooding issues in a basement or crawlspace, a sump pump offers a solution. A sump pump uses a pit where water collects, and pumps it away into the sewer pipe, storm drainage, or a safe distance away from the home. The collection of water in or under your home is not an issue to be ignored. It poses a threat to the integrity of the foundation, to the home’s structure and of mold or mildew developing in the home. A sump pump installation protects both the home and your health. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg to schedule a sump pump installation or repair with our plumbers in Katy.
The Causes of Flooding
Flooding can occur due to a number of reasons, and some of these require home repair rather than a sump pump. However, for those who need a sump pump, the device provides an extra layer of protection against flooding and damage to your home. Common causes of flooding include the following.
The Causes Home Repair Will Prevent
- Clogged or damaged gutters and downspouts are a frequent cause of basement flooding. When debris such as leaves or bird nests clog the gutters and downspouts, overflowing water ends up next to the foundation, and can flood the space behind it. Furthermore, Clogged gutters can allow water to enter beneath the roof, causing damage and potential flooding in the home. Periodically clean the gutters and downspouts, and inspect for loose joints and damage, replacing them as needed.
In addition, if water isn’t draining either into storm drainage or away from the home, install downspout extensions to carry the water away from the home.
- Walk along your home’s foundation. The soil adjoining the foundation should be higher against it to promote proper drainage. Monitor it routinely and add soil when needed to maintain the slope away from the foundation to assist with drainage and to help prevent water in the basement. Furthermore, if you observe foundation cracks, contact a foundation specialist for repair.
The Causes that Require Professional Repair
- Periodically inspect the water pipes in the basement for leaks. The installation of flood alarms is also helpful in preventing damage to your home. In addition, when you schedule our plumbers in Katy to provide routine plumbing maintenance for your water heater, drain cleaning or other needs, we can also test for water leaks and provide repair while we are there.
A plumber’s professional maintenance reduces the likelihood of damage to your home. Routine maintenance assures the water heater performs optimally and efficiently, ensures developing drain clogs are cleared before they block free flowing drainage, and we can take care of other common plumbing problems before they cause you trouble. In addition, if you have a sump pump, our dedicated plumbers in Katy can provide maintenance and/or repair on it during maintenance service.
- Some locations have a high water table, and can result in ground water seeping into the basement. A sump pump is essential in maintaining a dry basement in this situation. The size of the basement and the amount of seepage are factors that must be considered for correct sizing a sump pump. In addition, for homes with flooding due to this cause, it is especially important to have a backup battery sump pump. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for a professional installation.
- When your home has issues due to water runoff from a hill, you may need a French drain or culverts to prevent flooding. The solution will be unique to your home’s location and property characteristics. Our plumbers in Katy can provide the plumbing installation or repair that you require.
- A water leak doesn’t occur often unless your plumbing needs replacement. Unfortunately, most leaks occur suddenly. A sump pump will ensure when a leak occurs in your basement, that damage to your home will be prevented. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for water line repair.
- Heavy rain can result in flooding, and a sump pump will help to ensure a dry basement.
When storms occur, it isn’t unusual for power failure to go along with it. A battery backup sump pump will take over when the primary sump pump fails or is unable to operate. In addition, anytime unusually heavy flooding occurs, the backup sump pump will lend assistance to the primary it is overwhelmed.
Sump pump maintenance isn’t complicated, and should be provided at least once per year. Testing the sump pump to ensure it is operation is recommended on a monthly basis by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit. If the pump doesn’t turn on and pump the water away, contact our plumbers in Katy for sump pump repair.
Check your owner’s manual for specific details about maintenance if you will be providing it yourself. Typically, basic sump pump maintenance includes:
Routinely inspecting the pit and clearing it of debris will prevent a clogged pump and discharge line. In addition, you should check the inlet screen, and clean any debris to prevent a burned out sump pump motor.
While you can’t view the entire length of the discharge line, when a clog occurs a plumber can. Check the discharge line for debris at its terminating end. In addition, when pouring water in the pit for testing, have someone to watch the terminus for water. When water isn’t going down in the pit and the pump is operating, and water isn’t being discharged at the terminus, you may have a clogged discharge line. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide the plumbing services you need. In addition, our plumbers can provide routine maintenance if you prefer.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing licensed plumbers in Katy can provide professional sump pump maintenance, repair, replacement, and installation. Our services meets and/or exceeds the industry standards for reliable services. We serve Katy, Sugar Land, Houston and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.