A home’s water supply line may develop a leak that is difficult to detect because it is typically buried 3 feet or more below the ground surface. Typically, leaks between the water meter and the home are the responsibility of the homeowner; while leaks from the water meter or the pipes leading from the utility water main to the meter are the responsibility of the water utility. If you are unsure of the location of the water leak, contact your water utility, and if they determine the leak to be your responsibility, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg to perform water line repair in Katy.
Signs of a leaking water supply line may show up as water pooling in the meter. Water may also follow the pipe to where the water supply pipe rises from the ground and entry into the home. If this area is consistently damp or wet, it may indicate a leak. In addition, when the leak is severe, water can rise, creating pools of water on top of the ground, this may be directly over the water line in a level lawn, but may run elsewhere on lawns that have a slope.
When the water supply line leaks, it affects the home’s supply of water, and may affect the water quality. The following common signs of a water leak indicate the need for water line repair in Katy:
Water discoloration may indicate a leak in the water main. Potential causes can include a leak that is allowing soil and other ground contamination to enter the home’s water supply. Corroded galvanized pipe is an additional potential source of water discoloration. Water discoloration may be nothing more than the utility supplier is repairing leaks or other repair. Check with your neighbors, if their water is also discolored then a municipal issue is the most likely cause.
When not due to rain, sprinklers or other known causes, pooling of water on the lawn may be due to a leak beneath the lawn. The water bill can become quite high, and the pipe may burst completely resulting in a large loss of water, so it’s best not delaying the repair. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for water line repair in Katy.
Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure is a common sign of a leak. When present throughout the home, it is more likely to be due to a main supply line leak than a localized problem at the single affected faucet. Contact our licensed plumbers for water line repair in Katy.
High Water Bill
A higher than normal water bill is often the first indication of a water leak. A leak can be anywhere in the plumbing system, though being aware of the signs may enable you to narrow down the likely location. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s experienced, licensed plumbers can provide professional leak detection, and expert water line repair in Katy.
Potential Signs of a Hidden Leak in the Home:
- Cracked tile and discolored wood or vinyl flooring
- The sound of running water
- A musty odor due to mold and/or mildew secondary to a leak
- Stained or soggy drywall, peeling wallpaper and/or paint
- Warped drywall
- Rotted flooring
Meter Check for Leaks
The water meter is useful for verifying large leaks. You can use your water meter to perform the following simple leak check before calling a plumber to provide water line repair in Katy.
- Ensure all water is turned off inside and outside the home. This test must be performed with no water will be used, including equipment on timers such as irrigation, ice maker or dishwasher.
- First, watch the water meter. In the case of a large leak the dial may be moving rapidly. Record the water meter reading, and wait 30 minutes to 1 hour. Ensure no one uses any water during this period.
- Record the meter reading again, if the meter indicates water has been used, it indicates the likelihood of a leak. Verify that the water was not used by a family member, or small appliances.
Some homes have a shut off valve at the entry of water into the home. If present, you can determine if the leak is within the home’s plumbing or water supply line with the following steps:
- Turn off the shut off valve. Check for water in the home. If you have water in the home, the valve is defective and the test cannot be performed. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for repair. Otherwise proceed to the next step after turning off the shut off valve.
- Check the water meter, if the dial is spinning the leak is in the water supply line. Otherwise perform the water meter test again. If the numbers have increased, you have a leak in the water supply line between the meter and the home.
When a Leak is Present
If the water meter test verifies a leak, shut the water off at the meter to stop the waste of water. In addition, if the leak is within the home, preventing additional water will prevent additional damage to the home and its foundation, while you wait for water line repair in Katy.
Water Line Services
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing can provide the plumbing services that you need for water line repair in Katy inside or outside of your home. Furthermore, we offer trenchless pipe repair and replacement, which replaces your water line under the ground, while preserving the integrity of your lawn, landscaping and any structures lying over it.
Replace Outdated Pipes
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is equipped with the latest in leak detection technology, and the latest equipment for providing water line repair in Katy. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for reliable plumbing repair, installation, and maintenance. We serve Katy, Sugar Land, Houston and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.