When water damage occurs, the resulting cost and the time involved in the repairs can be overwhelming. In addition, water damage creates the conditions where mold can easily grow posing serious health risks. While there are a number of maintenance items involved in the upkeep of property, maintenance and plumbing repair should never be overlooked or delayed. Benjamin Franklin’s reliable plumbers in Katy can provide the reliable plumbing repair you need.
An underperforming water heater, clogged toilet or a slow drain may seem to be a minor annoyance, but they may be a sign of a larger underlying problem. If property owners wait until a water heater tank leaks, a clogged drain rupture or a toilet overflow, the repair costs will most likely be much higher than they would have been, if the problem had been taken care of early on by our professional plumbers in Katy.
Once a plumbing emergency occurs, there will be the cost of repair and replacement of damaged property, your beautiful hardwood floors for example, or the ruined flooring under soggy carpets. Then there is the cost of mold remediation and the health threats it poses. Events such as these can actually threaten the structural integrity of the home and its foundation. Don’t wait until the damage occurs, contact our skilled plumbers in Katy today.
Mold not only looks unsightly, breathing it can aggravate allergies and cause dangerous lung problems, especially in children. When water damage and sewage back-up occurs in a business, it can shut your business down due to violation of the building and health codes.
Mold is extremely dangerous to the health of residents as it can induce allergic reactions and damage lungs. It is especially dangerous to those with asthma or other respiratory illnesses, and compromised immune systems.
Mold Prevention After Water Damage in Home
The best way to prevent mold is the control of moisture in the home. While it is impossible to eliminate all mold spores in the home, the spores are unable to grow without moisture. Moisture control is the essential factor in preventing the growth of mold. The following tips can assist you in mold control within the home or office:
- Plumbing leaks can lead to moisture buildup, and should be identified and repaired. Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Katy can provide the plumbing repair that you need.
- When leaks or floods occur, the affected areas of the home should be cleaned and dried within 24-48 hours to prevent the growth of mold. Use fans and dehumidifiers to help speed drying. As soon as a leak occurs, contact Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Katy for fast, efficient repair.
- Use an air conditioner or air dehumidifier during humid seasons to assist in reducing moisture buildup.
- Only solid surfaces should be used for flooring in humid basements and bathrooms. Carpet should never be used.
- Maintaining adequate ventilation with fans can also help prevent or control dampness.
- Mold inhibitors can be added to household paints.
- Maintain a low indoor humidity (ideally between 30%-50%) with the installation of a whole house dehumidifier.
- Use bathroom vent fans or open bathroom windows when showering. Allow fans to run for 20 minutes after showers or baths.
- Appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers and stoves, should be vented to the outdoors when possible. Always use the vent hood fan when cooking, especially when using a gas stove. A gas stove emits dangerous carbon monoxide gas when in use. Always use the exhaust fan when you cook on a gas stove.
- Additional insulation can reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (such as windows, pipes, and roofs).
Scheduling plumbing repair with Benjamin Franklin’s licensed plumbers in Katy is the best way to protect your property, and health by preventing major plumbing emergencies from occurring. Providing plumbing repair when problems develop can prevent a small issue from becoming a larger, and more costly issue. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers experienced, licensed plumbers known nationwide for their expertise. Contact us today for your plumbing problems. We serve Katy, Sugar Land, Houston and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers 24 emergency plumbing services for your convenience.