Homes requiring a sump pump are those built on the ground with a shallow water table, and those located where runoff from rain enters the basement. When heavy rain occurs the water table can rise, and if your home’s basement is vulnerable to seepage from the water table or the runoff of excess rain, you need a sump pump. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land can install sump pump protection in your basement.
Moisture buildup is very harmful to a home’s structural integrity, and a functioning sump pump is essential to the integrity and lifespan of a home with a wet basement. Left untreated, not only can your home and its foundation experience very serious damage, but mold and mildew can occur, threatening your family’s health.
If your home is on a natural rise with adequate drainage and never has a moisture problem you don’t need a sump pump. But if water build-up occurs, even though rarely, a sump pump is needed to protect your investment and your health. The following are the benefits of a sump pump for homes with a moisture problem:
- Keeps the basement dry and free of mold and mildew
- Protects the foundation of your home from damaging moisture
- Raises the property value
- Keeps finished basements, stored goods, and appliances such as the homes HVAC, laundry appliances, and water heaters safe from moisture damage
Types of Sump Pumps
There are several types of sump pumps, and the most commonly used are the pedestal and submersible sump pumps. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land can determine the appropriate type of sump pump your basement requires.
- A pedestal pump is an electric pump that activates when the water reaches a certain level activated by afloat.
- Submersible pumps are similar to pedestal pumps. They activate based on the water level, but they are installed underwater. They make less noise than pedestal pumps.
In general, a pump made of cast iron will last longer than a plastic pump. A quality submersible cast-iron sump pump is ultimately the best investment for the homeowner. Sump pump installation is custom sized for your home’s needs based on a number of factors. To ensure adequate protection of your home, a properly sized and installed sump pump is required. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land today for professional installation.
Sump Pump Maintenance
Sump pump maintenance is essential for the proper operation and lifespan of the appliance. Taking only a few minutes of your time every 3 months is well worth the effort to ensure the protection of your home and health! When you are unable to provide the proper care, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land. We can provide the sump pump maintenance that you need. The recommended maintenance includes:
- Visually ensure the pump is plugged in. Children, pets or other trades workers may have accidentally unplugged it.
- Visually inspect the cord for damage. A cord with damaged insulation can result in a shock, especially since it is in a wet basement area! If the damage is noted, contact a plumber in Sugar Land for cord replacement.
- Clean the pump inlet screen. Clogging can overwork the pump resulting in a reduced lifespan, or even failure.
- Pour adequate water into the pit to trigger the float rise and the pump to run. Debris in the sump pit can clog and/or damage the pump, so clean it as needed and no less than annual when the debris is minimal.
Signs You Need a Sump Pump.
- The most obvious sign that you need a sump pump is the collection of water in the basement.
- An additional indication is a damp, musky odor. This is caused by the presence of moisture in the basement.
- The presence of mold and mildew in the basement. Moisture from a wet basement can invade the home above it by increasing its humidity, causing mold and mildew there as well.
Once a sump pump is installed, these signs can also indicate a problem with the sump pump, with the addition of unusual sounds coming from the sump pump. You can avoid this by routinely checking in the basement. If you see water building up in the sump pit or basement or an increase in moisture, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land for sump pump repair.
Battery Backup Sump Pump
A backup sump pump provides additional protection for your home. The battery backup will operate when a specific water level is reached. Consequently, it will operate if the primary pump fails, as well as when excessively heavy rain occurs overwhelming the primary pump’s ability. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land can determine if you need to upgrade the primary pump.
If your basement is experiencing flooding or moisture build-up, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Sugar Land for professional sump pump installation by our experienced and licensed plumbers. A sump pump will keep your home dry and protect its structural integrity, and your family’s health. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg's professional plumbers serve Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.