Providing the proper care of your home’s plumbing in Sugar Land can pay off by preventing potentially costly damage to your home. Simple preventative measures, and ensuring family members know what not to put down a drain or toilet, can prevent the aggravation and expense of clogged drains, sewer pipes and the potential for damage. If you are experiencing drainage problems, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg plumber in Sugar Land today.
Caring for Plumbing in Sugar Land
Recognizing the Signs of Water Line, Drain and Sewer Issues
Recognizing the signs of developing problems provide the opportunity for early intervention before a small issue develops into a major issue. Generally, any of the following signs should receive prompt attention from a plumber in Sugar Land, as they can be telling signs of developing pipe problems or water leaks:
- Low water pressure can indicate a leaking water line, a supply line blocked by hard water deposits, or a faulty pressure reducing valve.
- An abnormally high water bill is an additional sign of a leak in the water supply pipes.
- Slow drains, drain backup and frequent clogging
Tips for At-Home Plumbing Maintenance
For clogged drains, try using vinegar and baking soda flushes to dislodge clogged materials. Pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup of white vinegar. Plug the other sink drain before you begin if applicable. Allow to sit for a couple of hours, follow by rinsing with a sink caught up with hot water.
You can also use a carbonated soda for a similar effect, as the acids in everyday cola can effectively break down a number of clogged materials.
Clogged Drain or Sewer Line
The sign of a problem within the sewer line is when all drains and toilets have poor or no drainage. When the problem is in a solitary location, it is more than likely a blockage in that location only. A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg plumber in Sugar Land can clear your drain or clogged sewer pipe, restoring efficient drainage and clean drains.
Using a sink plunger, fill the sink with 3 or 4 inches of water to ensure a good seal between the plunger and sink. Plunge steadily, and check the drainage. This may be repeated if necessary. If none of these techniques clear the clog, you will need the services of a qualified plumber in Sugar Land.
The old adage that “prevention is the best policy” is certainly worthwhile where drains and toilets are concerned. Avoid allowing any of the following enter sink drains to avoid clogs:
- Place all scraps in the trash and wipe plates and cooking utensils clean with a paper towel.
- Never allow fibrous or starchy food products such as pasta to enter the drain. Always use a colander for draining rice, pasta and vegetables.
- Cooking grease, fats and oils should be allowed to cool, stored in a tightly sealed container and disposed of in the trash or recycling center.
- Keep hair out of shower, tub and sink drains by using a drain strainer. This includes when you shave.
A toilet is designed to dispose of bath tissue and human waste only. The brand and type of bath tissue may lead to a clogged toilet, and can be bad for septic tank systems. Test your tissue by placing a few sheets in a clear glass and fill with water. The tissue that you want to use will break up into small pieces quickly. If the paper is still mostly intact, select a different brand to avoid clogged toilets and septic tank problems, and the need for a plumber in Sugar Land to unclog a toilet.
The following items are common causes of clogged toilets. Place them in the trash where they belong, to avoid clogs:
- Feminine hygiene products of any type.
Rubber, plastic, or cardboard products.
- Wipes, including personal, baby, and those that claim to be biodegradable.
- Cotton swabs and cotton balls
- Dental floss
- Paint or flammable products.
When you experience drain and/or sewer problems and call for a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg plumber in Sugar Land, our plumber will provide a video pipe inspection to identify and locate the issue. Once the problem is taken care of, our plumber will provide a free post video inspection to ensure the pipe is thoroughly clean and no other issues remain.
Our plumbers have the expertise to safely clean your clogged drains and keep your home’s plumbing functioning efficiently. For a plumber in Sugar Land schedule service today. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg provides professional plumbing repair and other plumbing services in Katy, Sugar Land, Houston and the surrounding areas. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.