Your household depends upon hot water for baths and showers, washing dishes, and laundry and many other tasks every day. When problems occur with the appliance, providing prompt repair may mean the difference between plumber provided water heater repair in Houston or replacement of the water heater. A number of common water heater problems are easy to identify when you know what to look for.
If your water is too hot, or not hot enough, check the thermostat setting on the appliance. The recommended temperature is 120 degrees. Above this temperature is hot enough to allow scalding, below this temperature will allow bacteria to thrive in the water heater.
If there is no hot water at all, it may be due to a broken heating element, or gas thermocouple, depending upon the type of water heater, or other causes. A Benjamin Franklin plumber is your best source for reliable water heater repair in Houston.
The Noisy Water Heater
A water heater can bang, creak, pop, knock, rumble or whine. The sediment that can build up inside the tank due to hard water can cause water heater noise. Flushing the tank typically takes care of the problem, while annual flushing can help to prevent it altogether.
If you have flushed the tank but are still hearing unusual noise, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber for water heater repair in Houston.
Repair vs. Replace
The following are factors to consider in the determination to repair or replace a water heater.
- The age of the water heater is the first factor to consider. Maintenance and the water chemistry can affect the lifespan of the water heater. Furthermore, if annual maintenance is neglected, a water heater will not survive the potential lifespan. With routine flushing, and repair when required, in the presence of hard water it may last 7 to 10 years.
- A leaking water heater may be due to a replaceable component such as the drain valve, for example. However, if leakage is from the tank, replacement is the only option. A leaking tank is typically due to corrosion in an aging water heater. When leaks are noted, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber promptly for water heater repair in Houston. Leaks can lead to serious damage to the home and its foundation, and the potential for mold.
- The presence of hard water reduces the expected lifespan of the water heater, especially if you do not provide annual maintenance. A water softener can provide protection for the water heater, plumbing, and other water using appliances. A Ben Franklin plumber in Houston can provide the water softener installation you need for plumbing protection in your home.
- Discolored water can be due to rust and sediment in the water heater tank, flushing can clear the tank. However, rust within the tank may indicate the tank corrosion, and a leak is only a matter of time. Homes with metal piping, such as galvanized pipes will eventually rust, causing discolored water. A Benjamin Franklin plumber is your best source for determining the source and cause of discolored water and the potential to repair.
- Water with a bad odor may be due to the presence of bacteria in the tank, or the need to replace the anode rod. Contact a plumber for water heater repair in Houston.
- Low water pressure on the hot water side can be due to a number of issues. If you have recently flushed the water heater, ensure you fully opened the shut off valve at the water heater. Otherwise, the remaining potential causes will require the services of a plumber for water heater repair in Houston.
- A water heater that is slow to heat water can be due to several issues from a thermostat set below 120 degree F, to sediment and the need for flushing and a professional cleaning, to colder incoming water during the winter, or the need for water heater repair in Houston.
Conditions Specific to a Gas Water Heater
- When you lack hot water in a gas water heater, check the pilot to ensure it has not gone out.
- Check the gas shut-off valve at the water heater to ensure it is on, if it is check the outdoor gas tank or gas meter. A gas tank may be empty and a gas meter may have been inadvertently shut off.
- When the pilot will not light in a gas water heater with ample gas supply, hold the pilot button down to purge air from the line and attempt to relight. If this fails, contact a plumber for water heater repair in Houston.
- A pilot that lights, but will not remain lit, or one that goes out frequently, will require water heater repair in Houston.
If you are experiencing common water heater problems or other issues, give us a call, we will be glad to assist you. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is recognized nationwide for the skill and dedication of its licensed plumbers. In addition, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg provides 24-hour emergency service for your convenience. Whether you need water heater repair in Houston, or other plumbing services, we will provide you with professional services, and our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Our expert plumbers serve Houston, Sugar Land, Katy and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.