Water line leaks are not always as obvious as water pooling on the lawn or water standing in the home. Leaks can go on for months, or even years without the homeowner’s knowledge. An unexplained, elevated water bill can indicate the presence of a hidden water leak, and will require leak detection and water line repair in Houston. The water meter test is a simple means of determining if a water leak is present:
- It’s best to perform the test when other family members aren’t home to ensure water isn’t used. Shut off all automatic appliances that use water such as the ice maker and sprinkler system. Don’t run the dishwasher, washing machine or turn on any faucets while you perform the test.
- Check the reading on the water meter and write it down.
- Recheck in 30 minutes to 1 hour. If the meter dial/readout has moved, you have a leak and will require water line repair in Houston.
Indoor Water Leaks
The signs of a leak can be subtle and include:
- Discolored water can indicate a leak in the water main underground, allowing soil to enter. It can also indicate corrosion in galvanized pipes.
- Though other causes are possible, a water leak may cause low water pressure.
- You can often hear the sound of running water though water is not in use.
- A musty odor may indicate mold and mildew due to a leak.
- While damaged floors and walls may be due to water escaping a shower and other causes, a water leak that is undetected can leak until floors or walls have rotted, revealing water damage. A floor that “gives” when weight is placed on it or a sagging floor can indicate rot due to a leak.
- Stained flooring or cracked tiles can indicate damage due to a leak.
- Peeling paint or stained wallpaper can indicate a leak within the wall.
- Wood finishes with a bleached appearance or rot.
- Swollen particle board or warped drywall indicates the presence of water.
- Humidity in the home can increase when a leak is present.
When you have a leak shut off the water supply. Then call a licensed plumber to provide water line repair in Houston. Our plumbers use the latest advanced technology to locate hidden leaks, and provide the highest quality of repair.
Yard Line Leaks
Leaks can occur outdoors in the water main, the pipe that supplies water to your home from the municipal water supply. The signs of a leaking water main can include:
- Pooling or a stream of water on the lawn.
- Grass that is greener and lusher than other parts of the lawn. Green, lush grass may be in the location the water is traveling to, rather than over the leak itself.
- Spongy damp soil when other soil is not.
- Sunken areas of the lawn.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing utilizes the latest technology in locating and repairing your leaks with water line repair in Houston. Delaying repair can lead to additional damage to your home and its foundation. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for professional and reliable plumbing repair.
Our licensed plumbers specialize in slab leak detection and repair. For most slab leaks, we are able to provide repair without any damage to your home’s flooring.
Don’t underestimate the damage that may occur due to a slab leak. It can result in substantial damage to the home and its foundation. Ensure you use a licensed plumber for professional leak detection and a quality water line repair in Houston. The structural integrity of your home, its foundation and your family’s safety and health depends upon successful and professional slab leak repair.
When you hire Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for water line repair in Houston of a hidden water leak or other plumbing services, you are assured of receiving a plumber with the expertise to provide quality plumbing. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We serve Houston, Katy, Sugar Land and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.