If you are new to the Houston area, have just bought a home or even are renting, you need to be knowledgeable about what to do if you suspect a gas leak and what is typical for gas line repair. Being proficient in this information could save you money and even save a life!
Outdoor Gas Leaks
Leaks can occur outside underground. Do you know how to spot a gas leak in your yard? Here are a few helpful tips:
- Look for a damaged connection to a gas appliance.
- Look for dirt or water being blown into the air.
- Look for a fire or explosion near a gas line.
- Look for dying or discolored vegetation over gas line areas.
- Listen for a hissing, roaring, or whistling sound.
- Smell for the distinctive smell of natural gas.
Indoor Gas Leaks
- Most people first notice the distinctive smell of gas. It may be perceived as rotten eggs or a faint skunk smell. If you smell this, immediately evacuate the area!
- Call a licensed and reliable plumber in the Houston area.
- Do NOT light a match or turn on any electric devices.
- Do NOT reenter the building until a technician has deemed the area safe.
Knowing these safety protocols will help navigate you through a potentially dangerous situation if you need gas line repair. Even if it turns out to be a false alarm, you want to be on the safe side when it comes to natural gas. Do your part and stay smart!