The drain system in your home carries waste-water away from the home. When problems occur interfering with drainage it is not only annoying but in some cases may pose a health risk to you, your neighbors and your neighborhood. Drain clogs may begin as drains that are slow to drain. If the problem is not corrected, it will lead to blocked drains without drainage and may cause a sewage backup in your home. If you are experiencing drain problems, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg’s plumbers in Houston can have your drains back up and running as they should.
The Leading Causes of Drain Clogs
- Grease, oil, and food particulates are the main cause of kitchen drain clogs
- Hair and soap will cause drains to clog in bathroom sinks, showers, and tubs
- Tree roots can invade a sewer main, and continue to grow until the sewer line is blocked.
- Instruct family members that toilets are not for the disposal of garbage.
Only waste and toilet paper should be placed in the toilet. Instruct children not to flush toys, and other family members not to flush the following:
- Cotton swabs or cotton balls
- Facial tissues, dinner napkins or paper towels
- Plastics, metal or glass
- Cardboard toilet paper rolls
- Feminine hygiene products
It is a good idea to avoid storing any objects (including toilet paper) on the toilet tank lid to avoid items falling into the bowl. This includes over the toilet storage or shelving. Keep the lid down when opening doors for this type of storage to avoid objects being dropped or falling into the toilet.
The use of drain cleaners or other chemicals is not recommended for use in attempting to clear a clogged drain or toilet. Potentially severe damage may occur to drain pipes. The homeowner may use a sink plunger in sinks, or a toilet plunger in toilets. If these fail to clear a clog your best action will be to call the plumbers in Houston.
5 Signs of a Clogged Drain or Sewer Line
- Slow drains progressing to no draining.
- Plumbing gurgle (occurs when an appliance such as a washing machine is emptying, and water bubbles up from a nearby drain). Other issues can also cause gurgle.
- The odor of sewer gases may be due to a plumbing ventilation issue or a full septic tank where applicable.
- Sewage backup.
- Leaking drains or water pooling on the lawn over the area of a sewer line.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg’s professional plumbers can provide a video line inspection with a small, flexible video camera to determine the cause of your drain or sewer issues. Once the cause is determined and pinpointed, our experienced plumbers in Houston will provide the necessary intervention or professional drain repair that is needed to restore your plumbing in Houston to a clean, efficiently draining system.
3 Tips To Prevent Drain Clogs
- Dispose of grease, oil, and food in the trash. Wipe plates off with a paper towel into the trash can.
- Periodically fill the sink with hot water. Then allow draining. The water's force will assist in keeping drains clear. For the greatest effectiveness repeat in 15 minutes.
- The use of a sink plunger will remove small clogs.
However, clogs may be too dense or too large for anything less than the services of the plumbers in Houston. Our professional plumbers in Houston have the expertise and latest equipment to provide a fast diagnosis of the problem. We will provide you with the most effective options for repair, and professional completion of the job. Once the repair is complete, we will provide an additional free video camera inspection to ensure your drains or sewer is clean, and efficiently functioning.Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg at (281) 616-3978 today!