When you’re looking to replace or install a new garbage disposal, or garburator, you need to know what to look for. There are different household requirements for everyone, and it needs to function well to fit your needs. To find the best garbage disposal for you, think about the following:
- Horsepower: Garbage disposal motors come in a range of different power levels. Standard HP is ⅓, ½, ¾, and 1. You need to think about how many people are in your family and the amount of daily usage it will get. Talk with a plumber if you need help determining the HP that suits you. Typically a smaller unit is fine for a single person or couple living in a home, but go with at least ½ HP. Larger units not only are more powerful and last longer, but can be more expensive.
- Stainless Steel Blades: Stainless steel blades are strong, durable, and can handle tough jobs easily. The best garbage disposal units use more stainless steel and will last longer and not wear out quickly like cheaper ones tend to do.
- Type: Continuous-feed or batch-feed are 2 main types of garbage disposals. The continuous feed has a switch to turn on the unit to where you let water drain through and continuously drop food into the unit. Batch-feed disposals require you to insert and turn a special plug in the drain to activate the unit.
- Anti-Jamming Capability: Another reason to spend a little more is to avoid the troublesome jamming and clogging that cheaper disposals create. The best garbage disposal models help this to not happen often, eliminating frustration!
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: Depending on the brand and quality, disposal warranty periods range from 2 years to a limited lifetime. Look for an in-home service warranty where the manufacturer will replace or repair the faulty unit in your home free of charge within the warranty period.
It’s definitely worth your while to spend a little more to ensure you get the best garbage disposal for your home and your family.