There can’t be anything more annoying than the sound of a dripping leaky faucet, not to mention the fact that you may be wasting more than 2,160 gallons of water a year on these sorts of leaks. Let Benjamin Franklin Plumbing help by providing you with the 6 steps listed below in order to get rid of this problem, safely, accurately, and most importantly, permanently:
1. Turn off the water at the shutoff valves:
Open the faucet to drain the valves.
2. Pry off the cap from the faucet’s top and remove the screw and handle:
Remove top; try not to scrap and damage the finish of the fixture.
3. Remove the packing nut with an open ended wrench or locking pliers:
Cut off the old ring around the base of the spindle with the utility knife and roll on a new one. Be extremely careful not to cut yourself. In certain models, you would need to unscrew the threaded spindle from the packing nut then replace the patching clockwise around the spindle just below the packing nut.
4. Remove the stem screw and washer from bottom of stem assembly and replace the washer:
Insert a mild degreaser pad into the open valve and roll back and forth to clean the valve seat.
5. Stick your finger into the open valve to feel for any rough edges indicating damage:
If the removable seat is corroded replace it. Insert a seat wrench into the hole to unscrew it; coat the threads of the new seat with pipe joint compound before unscrewing it back in. Be very careful not to cross the threads and damage it. Resurface the damaged non removable seat with a seat dressing tool which threads into the valve; as you turn the tea handle shaft a cutter head resurfaces the seat.
6. After completing the repair, turn the faucet to the “on” position and slowly open the shutoff valve:
When the water is flowing without air, turn off the faucet and you’re good to go. Those are the 6 steps to repairing a leaky faucet; if you encounter any trouble during this process we’re standing by to help you, simply give us a call anytime, 24/7. Remember that you can always count on receiving 100% satisfaction with Benjamin Franklin plumbing guaranteeing you that if there is any delay, it’s you we pay!
Call us at (772) 205-3132 to schedule your next service!