Has this scenario ever happened to you? You go to place your dishes in the dishwasher, you open the door, and you’re met with a wave of the foul stench. Not to worry, this a common occurrence and there are several things you can do to eliminate the odor.
Dishwashers require some attention and maintenance as with any other appliance in your home. Even if your dishwasher seems to function normally, there could be some underlying issues that are causing an unpleasant smell.
Here are some reasons why your dishwasher smells and how to get rid of the stink:
- Dishwasher trap is clogged or blocked. Check your dishwasher filter or trap and remove any food particles that may be present. Make sure to read your dishwasher manual so that you can safely remove the trap without hurting yourself or damaging the unit. Clean the filter to remove any leftover grime.
- Dishwasher hose is bent or kinked. A bent or pinched hose line will prevent proper wastewater flow and can cause nasty smells. Inspect the hose under the sink to ensure it’s free from bends and kinks.
- Dishwasher hose was installed incorrectly. An experienced technician should know to leave an elevated loop in the drain hose to prevent backflow of wastewater into the sink drain.
- The door stays shut or you don’t run the dishwasher enough. If you notice a musty, mildew, or mold smell, make sure you allow the moisture to evaporate. Even after the dry cycle has ended, there will still be moisture. Keep the door slightly ajar to air it out.
- Hard water deposits and limescale. Over time, the buildup of limescale inside your dishwasher can decrease its cleaning power and efficiency. You can get rid of the grime with cleaners made specifically for dishwashers. Consider installing a water softening system to eliminate hard water and mineral deposits.
Plumbers in Atlantic County
When you need plumbing help, turn to Benjamin Franklin Plumbing. We are your professional, knowledgeable, and dependable plumbing company located in Pleasantville, NJ. We offer prompt plumbing services all year round and can even make emergency calls. We’re here for you when you need—just give us a call at (609) 910-5668.