Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing issues homeowners face. Since it’s one of the most important systems in our home, it’s important to keep them clear and functioning properly. There are many things which you can do at home to avoid drain cleaning and maintenance mistakes.
Don’ts of Drain Cleaning & Maintenance
Here is what not to do when it comes to your drain.
- Do not use liquid drain cleaner—Many liquid cleaners use harsh, toxic chemicals that can do damage to your pipes and plumbing system. Avoid these “quicks fixes” and opt for other solutions like vinegar and baking soda or boiling water.
- Do not put solid items down the drain—Putting the wrong things down the drain will only lead to clogs and headaches.
- Ignoring slow drains—Don’t ignore that slow drain because that’s the first sign that your drain and pipe have a clog. Act before it turns into a bigger problem.
Do’s of Drain Cleaning & Maintenance
Now that you know what not to do, here are some tips to avoid drain cleaning mistakes.
- Use safe drain cleaning solutionsؙ—If you do decide to use a liquid drain cleaner, make sure it’s safe and approved by your plumber like Bio-Ben. You can also opt for natural remedies like vinegar with baking soda and boiling water.
- Do use a mesh filter—Be sure to always have a filter or strainer at each drain to food particles, hair, and other debris. Mesh filters are cheap and easy to place in your kitchen sink, shower, bathtub, and any other drain in your home.
- Stay proactive—Set a reminder to check your drains for debris. A good rule of thumb is to clear out your drain around daylight savings time or once in the fall and once in the spring. Have a professional plumber inspect your drain each year to ensure roots haven infiltrated your system or that the ground hasn’t shifted.
Drain Cleaning Help in South Jersey
When your drains don’t work like they used to, it’s time to call in a professional. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Pleasantville, NJ offers expert drain repairs and service 365 days a year.
- Drain installation
- Drain replacement
- Drain repair
- Drain unclogging
- Drain cleaning
- Drain clearing
- Hydro jetting
- Camera inspections
We also offer emergency services so you’re never without plumbing help. Schedule service with our South Jersey plumbing crew today!