In some communities, water conservation is the law. In other places, it just makes sense to save water to help lower utility costs. In other homes, people desire to reduce water consumption for environmental reasons. Whatever the reason, there are many ways you can conserve water with these tips from Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas.
Conserving Water Around the Home
- Compost vegetable scraps instead of running the garbage disposal. Reuse the compost to produce lush landscaping.
- When washing the dishes, fill one side of the sink or a dish pan with hot, soapy water. Fill the other side with cool water for rinsing. This can save gallons of water with each load of dishes.
- Sweep the driveway clean instead of hosing it off.
- Replace old toilets or retrofit them with a dual flush kit.
- If you have a fish tank, water the plants with the water taken out of the tank. It’s full of nutrients.
- Check all fixtures inside and out for leaks at least once a month. Arrange for plumbing repair of leaky fixtures.
- Adjust the washing machine load size for each load. Try to only wash full loads.
- Use the same glass or water bottle all day. Keep it in the refrigerator when not in use. This saves on washing dishes and saves on running water to get it cold enough.
- Soak dishes that have stuck-on leftovers. They will be much easier to clean and there will be no need to run water while scrubbing.
- If the kids want to play in the water on a hot summer day, set up a lawn sprinkler on the driest patch of grass in the yard. The grass gets watered and the kids have fun.
These water conservation tips from our Plano plumbers do not require major lifestyle changes and are easy and inexpensive to implement. For plumbing installation of water saving fixtures or for any plumbing services, call us at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas today at (972) 895-7775.