As a homeowner, you may be wondering what methods you can use for water preservation in your home while still enjoying all of the comforts you are used to having. At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, we offer residential customers plumbing services including leak detection, installation of water conservation devices and plumbing repairs to reduce the amount of water used in your home without sacrificing the things that you enjoy. Consider these tips for reducing water consumption in your home.
1. Have one of our professional plumbers visit your home to check the toilets, pipes and fixtures for leaks. Small leaks can be nearly impossible to detect by an untrained eye.
2. Have low-flow devices installed in your shower, faucets and toilet.
3. If you cannot have a low-flow toilet, insert a brick or 2-liter water bottle into the toilet tank. This will decrease the amount of water used for each flush.
4. Use your water meter to detect leaks. Take note of the reading on the meter and check the time. Then have everyone leave the home to run errands or play outside, so that no water is being used while you are out. At least two hours later, check the numbers on the meter again. If the number is greater, you have a water leak.
5. Take shorter showers. While waiting for the water to heat up, place a bucket to collect the cold water. Then use that cold water for cleaning, watering plants or flushing the toilet.
6. Shut off the water while washing dishes. Use a basin instead. Keep the water off while brushing your teeth or shaving. Only run the water while rinsing.
As your plumbing service provider, we are dedicated to providing you with reliable, trustworthy and affordable plumbing solutions. Whether you are looking for devices to control water flow, professional repairs or leak detection services, our team at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing has the training, knowledge and experience to serve all of your plumbing needs. Call us today to schedule your plumbing service.