Copper pipe has been one of the top choices for plumbing pipes with homeowner’s needing plumbing in Houston, Texas for over seventy years. This is due to the long term performance one can expect from using copper, and with this, it remains a highly popular piping material. So popular, in fact, that over 80% of homes is being plumbed with copper. However, it is facing growing competition due to its costs, other options like PVC, CPVC and PEX. With that said, copper may be one of the best options for your home’s plumbing in Houston, Texas. Below, we will go over all of the advantages that copper can provide, and we will also go over why copper may not be the best option for some homes.
The Advantages of Copper Plumbing
- Corrosion resistant and with biostatic properties, Copper leads against the competition.
Biostatic means that copper contains antimicrobial properties. These properties have been well known for hundreds of years but as to why copper has these properties are still under active investigation by scientists. The effect of copper, known as the oligodynamic effect was first discovered in 1893. When metal ions are in contact with living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungi, viruses, prokaryotic and eukaryotic microorganisms it produces a toxic effect against them.
- Copper is naturally lightweight and easier to use in long run plumbing without requiring a large number of supports. Even though copper is lightweight, it is still highly durable. This means that copper will require fewer repairs during its life cycle.
- Copper is also lead free, and unlike some other pipe materials it is recyclable.
- Due to coppers durability it can withstand natural disasters much better than other pipe materials. Additionally, copper is fire resistant and will not emit toxic gases if involved in a fire.
- Copper is not vulnerable to the UV light emitted by the sun. It can be used in outdoor applications, and it will not freeze if it is installed below the frost line.
- The life cycle of copper can range anywhere between fifty to seventy years under normal conditions.
- Copper plumbing will typically increase the resale value of a home and it can also help facilitate the sale of the home in some cases.
- Copper has been used for hundreds of years, longer than any other pipe material that is in use today. This factor is often a decisive one for many homeowners’ that are in need of new plumbing in Houston, Texas.
The Disadvantages of Copper Plumbing
The main disadvantage to copper plumbing is the initial costs associated with purchasing it. If you are on a strict budget, you may be more inclined to go with a cheaper product. However, considering the long life cycle of copper, its anti-microbacterial properties, and durability against other pipe materials, copper is often the most effective choice for your home.
Additionally, in some areas copper piping may not be beneficial. This applies only if you are in an area where there is acidic water, as acid water can cause problems in copper pipes over time. However, this can be overcome by installing a whole-house ionizing system at the main line to lower the acidic levels of the water. This of course, can set you back quite a bit also. It will all depend on how concerned you are to provide safe, healthy water into your home for you and your family members.
There are a number of environmental conditions can that potentially affect water quality that enters any home and these same environmental conditions that affect the quality of water can also effect the longevity of the plumbing leading into the home also. Whenever you are in the market to repipe your home or are in the process of a new home build, hire an experienced and licensed plumbing company, such as Benjamin Franklin Plumbing. Our plumbers provide professional plumbing in Houston, Texas, in fact, some of the highest reliability and professional service you will find in the Houston metropolitan area.
The next time that you need assistance with your plumbing in Houston, Texas; do not hesitate to get in touch with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Houston, TX. Our licensed and courteous plumbers will advise you with honest and professional options for your home’s plumbing in Houston, Texas. There are a number of choices that you can use for repiping or new home builds. If you would like to speak with us further about the different options of piping to use in your home then give us a call today.