Even a well-constructed and designed home can experience a flooded basement. According to FEMA, the average flood claim between 2006 and 2010 was $34,000. Without flood insurance, the costs to repair or rebuild will fall upon the homeowner. Even if you don’t live in a flood zone, you may still suffer flood damage. When flooding is an issue, the appropriate solution is the installation of a sump pump by a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Houston.
A sump pump ensures that when water begins to collect in the sump pit, it triggers the sump pump to cut its own and pump water out of the basement and safely away from the home.
Common Causes of Flooding
There are a number of causes of basement flooding. Excessive rain, burst water lines, rising water levels due to local flooding are common causes of flooding. Flooding due to secondary causes includes:
- A crack or leak in the home’s foundation, basement walls, basement windows or door.
- Poor grading or drainage
- Clogged, damaged and overflowing gutters and downspouts
- Seal cracks and leaks in walls, floors, windows, doors, and foundations.
- Keep gutters and downspouts free of leaves and other debris that prevent proper drainage. Replace damaged components.
- Ensure downspouts are draining the proper distance from your foundation walls.
- Ensure the grading around your home slopes away from the foundation wall to help drain water away from your home.
- Increase the green space around the home with native plants and shrubs and install porous hardscape to help absorb rainwater.
- Repair/replace damaged or clogged drainage systems.
- Ensure drainage swales (drainage ditch) between properties are maintained and clear of obstructions and accumulated debris.
When flooding is due to local floods, the waters frequently carry bacteria, viruses, chemical agents or other contaminants, so take the appropriate safety precautions if you enter the water or come in contact with it. Wear rubber boots and gloves, and be vigilant not to allow the water to come in contact with your skin. If you are exposed to the water, wash your skin with soap and clean water. When the floodwaters recede, hire a professional remediation crew with experience in cleaning up water damage.
Wet carpeting, furniture, bedding and other items holding moisture can develop mold within as little as 24 to 48 hours. Clean and disinfect all items, surfaces, and furnishings touched by floodwaters. The installation of a sump pump by a plumber in Houston prevents basement flooding and the risks of mold and structural damage to the home and its foundation.
Sump Pump Installation
A sump pump professionally installed by a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Houston will keep your basement dry. There are a number of factors the plumber must consider in selecting the appropriate sump pump for your home. Our licensed plumbers have the expertise to accurately assess these factors, providing the sump pump your basement requires.
Battery Backup Sump Pump
A backup sump pump provides an additional level of protection for your home. The battery backup will operate when a specific water level is reached. Furthermore, it will operate if the primary pump fails, as well as when excessively heavy rain occurs, overwhelming the primary pump. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Houston can determine if you need to upgrade the primary pump or add a back-up and provide the professional installation for your home.
Flooding can cause municipal sewer lines to back up into your home. A check valve will prevent this. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Houston will be glad to provide the check valve installation you require.
Provide Sump Pump Maintenance
The sump pump requires routine maintenance every three months. The recommended maintenance includes:
- Clean the pump inlet screen of accumulated debris.
- Routinely ensure the pump is plugged in. Check the electrical cord for fraying or other damage. If cord damage occurs, schedule repair by a plumber in Houston.
- Ensure pump operation by pouring a bucket of water into the pit, enough to raise the float and trigger the pump to run. Clean the pit annually or as required of debris that can clog or damage the pump.
To prevent and/or stop basement flooding, a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Houston can provide the professional sump pump installation that you require. A sump pump will keep your home dry and protect its structural integrity. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg’s professional plumbers serve Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.