Seven Reasons You Should Leave This Job to the Pros
Oh, we love you, DIYers out there, we truly do!
Your confident stride into the home improvement store, your diligent consumption of step-by-step online tutorials, and your sheer grit in tackling any project big or small…we salute you!
In fact, we know many of you have experience with both simple and complex plumbing repairs around your home. It makes sense that when it comes to installing a new water heater, it would seem a perfect fit for the DIY list. Unhook the old, hook up the new, in theory it seems straightforward, even inviting.
BUT, there are seven excellent reasons why you should leave this particular plumbing job to the professionals.
When it comes to installing a new water heater, we must insist you let a licensed, insured and certified professional do the work. At Ben Franklin Plumbing, your family’s safety is a paramount concern for us. Please consider the following information if you’re in the market for a new water heater.
- You might not NEED a NEW hot water heater. A Ben Franklin plumber can perform a thorough inspection and assess why your water heater isn’t working properly. It may be an affordable repair that ultimately saves you hundreds of dollars by sparing you an unnecessary investment in a brand new water heater.
- It’s more than simply reconnecting a new tank to the old water lines. If your aging water heater is no longer functioning, chances are many of the pipes or fittings that feed it are also worn out. Our licensed professionals will bring all of the proper pipes, fittings, tools and venting materials needed to install a new water heater correctly. Tank design and connections change over the years and chances are the infrastructure that supported your older, now-defunct tank also needs upgrading. If you are changing to a tankless water heater, there are even more complex concerns to take into consideration, including the need for specialized venting. Our plumbers are trained to ask the right questions and observe the details that allow the job to be done right the first time. A bonus to letting Ben Franklin Plumbing do your installation is that we will remove and dispose of your broken water heater as part of our service call.
- Avoid the deadly risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. We’ve briefly discussed venting already, but it bears repeating! Proper ventilation is critical for gas powered water heaters…traditional or tankless. Improper venting can allow carbon monoxide fumes to build up in your home, with potentially lethal results. If your DIY efforts allow even the smallest leak to occur, you could expose yourself and your family to extremely harmful (if not deadly) conditions damage. This is also a good time to remind you to buy and install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, on every floor. Placing them next to smoke detectors is a good way to ensure proper living space coverage.
- If something goes wrong, you’re off the hook. By letting a pro install your water heater, you are also covered by a warranty that will protect you should something go wrong with the installation or the system itself. When you DIY, you may have a manufacturer’s warranty on the actual tank, but none of the ancillary parts, pipes, or other items related to the installation will be covered. Your peace of mind in knowing you can make one phone call to resolve any issues is priceless.
- Time to sell? Time to pay up! If you decide to put your home on the market and you installed your water heater yourself, you may have to pay to have it inspected and permitted. Water heaters are part of the pre-sale inspection process. The inspector could require you to do repairs or even professionally reinstall the hot water heater. This means you’ll have paid twice(and much more) for what seemed an economical DIY project in the beginning.
- One size doesn’t fit all. The hot water needs of your home and family have most likely changed dramatically since your current water heater was installed. The sales team at the store where you purchase your water heater, while friendly and well-intentioned, may not consider all of the important factors when recommending your new system. Let our professionals do a comprehensive assessment of your hot water needs so we can help you identify what product will work best for you
- Quite frankly, you could be breaking the law. Regulations governing water heater installation vary by city. You may not be permitted to self-install a hot water heater in your home, depending on where you live. At Ben Franklin, we’re well versed in the local codes and laws that govern these installations.
DIYers out there, you have our utmost respect, but when it comes to installing a new water heater in your home, let the professionals at Ben Franklin Plumbing do it right, up to code, safely, and affordably the first time.
We’re happy to provide you with a free consultation to determine the water heater for your needs. Our monthly service and product specials can also save you money!
Contact us or call our 24/7 customer service line today (704) 802-1379.