In a recent survey, Cincinnati ranked as one of the top 10 cities in the U.S with the most flooded basements. This tells us Cincy residents (and our plumbers) are all too familiar in dealing with unwanted water.
Sump pumps are installed to eliminate this problem and protect your home from flooding and water damage. In order to detect and pump out water that collects, sump pumps are installed at the lowest point in a basement or crawlspace. If basement flooding isn't something you're worried about, these devices can help with excess moisture around a home's foundation.
What causes water build-up in your basement?
Water problems and moisture in basements are not uncommon. Here are a few common reasons basements deal with flood and mold problems:
- Foundation problems
- Plumbing leaks
- Groundwater issues
- Rainstorms and other weather-related issues
- Improper drainage around your foundation
- Burst pipes
- Malfunctioning washing machine
Sump Pump Benefits
A sump pump works daily and in emergency events like a flood to protect your home from water damage. On average, sump pumps will last around ten years, especially if you keep up with annual maintenance. When installed properly, they can protect your home in many ways:
- Ensures your foundation and building materials aren't damaged by pooling water
- Protects personal belongings like electronics and furniture from water damage
- Reduces the chance of mildew and mold growth (especially after a flood or other emergency)
- Reduces humidity in your basement, which will help with better indoor air quality
- Can increase your home's property value and
Don't forget your battery backup!
If bad weather leads to a power outage, your sump pump could become useless. If you're not ready to invest in a generator, a battery backup can keep your sump pump functioning when you need it most. Battery backups can last anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days, depending on how often it's needed.
Our Cincinnati sump pump experts are here to discuss your options and determine the right sump pump for you. If your sump pump needs a maintenance check, or upgrade, give our plumbing experts a call!