As a homeowner, there is usually a lot on your mind other than cleaning your drains. Some people clean their drains every day, some say every six months, and others might not even clean their drains at all. So what is the sweet spot to keep your plumbing happy while not making drain cleaning into a dreaded chore?
We recommend cleaning your drains monthly to avoid major plumbing issues.
Benefits of Monthly Drain Cleaning
As one of the joys of homeownership, you have to monitor and take care of a lot of things throughout your house. Add in a simple drain cleaning task to your monthly cleaning list.
Monthly drain cleaning is beneficial because:
- It avoids costly damage through regular maintenance
- It keeps your drains, pipes, and plumbing running smoothly
- It helps get rid of smells coming from your drains
- It’s free and easy to do!
How to Safely Clean Drains
- You can start by making sure each drain in your home has a stopper and catcher. This will make sure hair and other debris do not make their way in and get caught in your drains.
- Pour very hot water down your drains frequently to wash out soaps, oils, and fats.
- You can also use a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and hot water to remove clogs.
- Try to avoid using harsh chemicals and consider using plumber-approved liquids if necessary
- Snake your hair or debris that might’ve gone down the drain, especially in your bathroom. Be very careful and do not overdo it!
In addition to regular maintenance, we recommend professional drain cleaning every few years.
Professional Drain Cleaning Services Near You
When monthly drain cleaning doesn’t solve problems like slow or backed up drains, it’s time to call in a plumber. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Pleasantville, NJ is your friendly, local plumbing service. Give us a call, any time of day, and we’ll be there to provide expert drain cleaning services. Contact us today!