With all the running water in our pipes, walls, and appliances, water damage is an ever-present concern hanging over the heads of homeowners. With so many ways unwanted water can materialize—from the smallest of pipe leaks to the most dramatic of bursts—it’s important for you to stay vigilant with preventative plumbing maintenance. Otherwise, you might fall victim to one of the most frequently filed insurance claims!
One of the reasons water damage scares us is the cost involved. The equipment necessary to dry out flooded spaces, the repairs to pipework or broken appliances—excess water is a problem in bills alone! But beyond the cost of repair, there are health and hazard costs to your home and family. The true cost of water damage is in all the ways it impacts your life and the surprising ways your wallet can get wet.
What Comes from Water Damage:
Mold and bacteria
Excess moisture is a breeding ground for mold, mildew, fungus and other nasties. The same things that your dehumidifier keeps at bay can come roaring back when water builds up and isn’t thoroughly removed. Water leaks and the resulting pools can also happen in unseen, unexpected places, giving toxic growths even more time to emerge. Time is critical, as bacteria and fungi can reproduce quickly, filling your home with mold spores.
It’s a slow process, but leaks, flooding, or even excess moisture can damage your home’s foundation over time. Even concrete slabs and blocks can be eroded over time by both moving and standing water. When the ground around your home swells from water absorption, it can put pressure on poured walls and mortar joints. Inside your home, wooden beams and supports can weaken over time from water contact. Meanwhile, floors can buckle, crack, or grow soft, posing a safety hazard to you and your family.
Perhaps the most obvious consequence of excess water is damage to your property. Everything from family heirlooms to electronics, from important documents to food, can be damaged or even destroyed when water leaks or erupts within your home. To some extent, there’s little you can do to prepare your household items and property for water damage. We recommend considering the areas of your home where plumbing problems could manifest, as well as the pipes that are most active, when deciding where to place and store your items. Professional plumbers can help you find potential problem areas.
When water and electricity come into contact, the results can be fatal. As a leak, flood, or water damage situation develops, your home’s electrical systems and appliances can become compromised and pose serious risk.
What You Can Do
Don’t stand by and wait for water damage to have serious consequences in your home. Here are some preventative measures you can take today to keep your home and family safe tomorrow:
1. Find and mark your water main shutoff valve. When a plumbing emergency happens, you need to know where to go to shut off your water and minimize damage.
2. Understand your circuit breaker and label switches by the areas they control. When you first notice unwanted water, you should kill power to the area before any further examination.
3. Use home mold detection kits in areas of your home that get little traffic.
4. Check gutters and downspouts. Make sure these drainage setups are clear of debris and ready to let water flow unobstructed.
5. Use a drain snake, not harmful chemicals. Caustic drain cleaners can corrode your pipes over time. A drain snake will often get the job done, but the drain cleaning experts at Ben Franklin Plumbing rely on a natural alternative called BioBEN.
6. Repair caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilets. Check your sealants periodically and apply more as necessary.
7. Check the hoses of your appliances and fixtures for wear and tear. Contact the professionals at Ben Franklin Plumbing to replace with the latest, most dependable supplies.
For more professional advice and to schedule service with the Punctual Plumbers of Dallas, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Dallas. We serve Dallas, Fort Worth, McKinney, Plano, and surrounding areas with 24/7 emergency plumbing, drain cleaning, trenchless sewer repair, and more. Schedule service today with our ethical, award-winning team to make the necessary plumbing repairs to protect you and your family from future water damage.