Whether you are shopping for a replacement garbage disposal, or intend to install one for the first time, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing can provide the reliable services you need. Our plumbers in Katy install, repair, and replace garbage disposal units.
Benjamin Franklin’s licensed plumbers in Katy provide the exclusive Ben Franklin satisfaction guarantee on all of our plumbing services. Call today to schedule garbage disposal service.
Garbage Disposal Installation and Replacement
Garbage disposals grind up food waste, and carry it down the drain to the sewage treatment plant. They require care, and caution to prevent injury and clogged drains. Once a model is selected, ensure the proper installation of a first time garbage disposal or replacement by a licensed, qualified plumber. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s plumbers in Katy will complete the job right the first time.
Garbage Disposal Repair
With proper care, a garbage disposal will provide years of reliable service. However, problems may arise even when you try to prevent them. If the garbage disposal stops working, check the reset button before calling our plumbers in Katy.
If the problem persists, call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing to schedule service. Our plumbers in Katy will find the cause and provide the necessary repair.
A Homeowner’s Guide to Garbage Disposal Care
First, remember that a garbage disposal is not designed for, or capable of handling every type of waste. In fact, it would be more accurate to call it a kitchen disposal, as it is not designed to shred bone, foam containers, plastic wrap, paper, or plastic utensils. The garbage disposal is designed to grind small amounts of specific types of food only.
- 1. Refer to the owner’s manual for detailed instruction regarding care, and use. Commercial grade disposals ease the operation of some tasks, such as removing a clog.
- 2. As a general guideline, nothing ‘hard’ should be placed in a disposal; this includes fruit pits, bone, eggshells, metal, glass, or plastic items.
- 3. Never place paper into the disposal.
- 4. Fibrous foods can wrap around blades jamming and potentially damaging the unit, and can create a serious drain clog. Examples of fibrous foods include celery, cornhusks, onionskins, greens, artichokes, and banana peels.
- 5. Starchy foods such as rice or pasta can expand and clog drains.
- 6. Coffee grounds can create a clog.
- 7. Fats, oils, grease (FOG) should never be placed in any drain, or garbage disposal. While liquid when hot, FOG’s will solidify as they cool. A grease clog is one of the most difficult to fully clear, and can only be effectively removed with a hydrojet.
- 8. Do turn cold water on, before starting the garbage disposal. Cold water prevents overheating while it operates, and flushes ground up debris down the drain. Allow the water to run for at least 20 seconds after use to flush the drain clear.
- 9. Use pliers or tongs to remove clogs or objects. Never, ever place fingers into the disposal.
- 10. Clean and deodorize the disposal by freezing vinegar in an ice tray. In addition, cutting up lemon or orange peels and shredding them in the disposal provides a fresh citrus scent.
- 11. Cut the food into small pieces and feed them into the disposal one piece at a time with the cold-water running. When there is a significant amount of food, place it in the trash can.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumbers in Katy are trained to the highest industry standards. You can trust garbage disposal repair or garbage disposal installation, to a reliable Benjamin Franklin plumber. Our plumbers in Katy have the expertise to guarantee your satisfaction with every plumbing repair, and installation. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s licensed plumbers offer the highest level of competence, honesty, integrity, and respect for you and your property with every service call. We serve Katy, Sugar Land, Houston, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.