Nearly all of the avid cooks prefer gas stoves over electric ones, even though it is still an ongoing debate that which of these options is the better choice. Gas stoves give more accuracy and control while cooking, compared to the electric stoves. Another reason why gas stoves score higher is their energy consumption. Electric stoves have higher costs of operation because electricity is more expensive than natural gas. This is the reason why some households prefer natural gas water heaters over the electric ones.
Natural gas has been a major source of energy ever since its discovery at the industrial level as well as in households. As with every discovery or invention, natural gas has some downsides along with the benefits.
The gas is transported through pipelines to households, and due to pressure, escapes the outlets of our stoves. Household pipelines are usually installed by plumbers in Paso Robles, CA. The pressure in the lines causes the gas to escape through cracks in the pipelines.
Below are a few factors that cause gas leakages.
Poorly installed appliances such as stoves, burners or water heaters.
Any appliances not installed by expert plumbers in Paso Robles, CA will have a risk of gas leakage sooner or later.
Similarly, ill-maintained appliances can also cause gas leakages and incomplete burning.
Pipeline fittings not done by expert plumbers in Paso Robles, CA might be substandard and will increase the risk of gas leakages along the joints.
Worn out gas pipelines can also crack and cause the gas to leak. This is why it recommended getting gas fittings inspected yearly by an expert.
DETECTING A LEAKAGE
Natural gas is odorless. Odor is added on purpose by adding a harmless chemical. The reason of adding the odor is quite obvious, it helps detect leakage. The smell is sometimes compared to that of a rotten egg.
Even if you cannot smell gas inside your house, there still might be a leakage. Dying plants inside the house can also be an indicator of leaking gas. White dust or cloudy appearance on the pipelines, especially near the joints also means there is gas leakage.
Another indication that one should look for is hissing or whistling noises near the pipeline fittings and the appliances that run on gas.
Some experts even say that leaking gas can cause the flame color to become pale or yellow. So always look for a blue colored flame on stove whenever you light it. If isn’t blue, there might be a problem with the appliance.
Even when there is a detected gas leakage, many don’t think it is a big problem. Some neglect it despite knowing how dangerous it can be. People also sometimes delay inspection or repair, even if they know there’s leaking gas, thinking it is not much of an issue.
Even though natural gas is not poisonous, it can cause suffocation. Its presence in the air can lead it being breathed in, which means lesser concentration of pure air and hence oxygen reaches the lungs. Suffocation can cause dizziness, breathing problems, chest pain and/or nausea.
Lack of oxygen can also result in asphyxiation. Asphyxiation is a serious health issue that can cause loss of consciousness, brain damage or even death.
Gas accumulation within the kitchen, a room or around the house can prove deadly if mandatory precautions aren’t undertaken immediately. Even a little spark can ignite the gas and result in an explosion.
One of the biggest threats of faulty or poorly maintained appliances is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is highly toxic. It is produced by incomplete combustion of natural gas or a fuel. What’s more alarming is that one cannot see, smell or feel the presence of carbon monoxide unless it starts to affect one physically. Breathing carbon monoxide has severe health hazards including, headache, dizziness, upset stomach, nausea or throwing up. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also lead to a loss of muscle control. This basically means that you won’t be able to move or walk around. Continued exposure to carbon monoxide can also result in death.
Methane, the primary constituent of natural gas, is up to 120 times as potent a greenhouse gas as carbon dioxide. Thus, the release of unburned natural gas produces much stronger effects than the carbon dioxide that would have been released if the gas had been burned as intended.
As soon as you find out there is a gas leakage, call an expert gas line repair in Paso Robles, CA immediately. Delaying the repairs can prove fatal. If you smell gas or hear a whistling or hissing sound near the appliances or gas pipelines follow the following precautions.
Open windows and doors to ventilate the house. This will help the gas escape and reduce the concentration of accumulated gas, hence reducing the risk of an accident.
Do not switch on or switch off a power switch, a light or even the exhaust. Even a little spark in the switch board is sufficient to ignite the gas.
Do not use your phone
Do not light a match or a candle
Do not smoke
Do not use any electric appliance
All households that use gas burners or gas stoves must install gas detectors where gas appliances are being used. These detectors help detect presence of methane, carbon monoxide or other harmful gases.
Always call expert plumbers in Paso Robles, CA for installation of pipelines and new appliances. Use services from professional gas line repair in Paso Robles, CA, like Benjamin Franklin whenever there is a fault rather than trying to repair it yourself.
It is highly recommended by the plumbers in Paso Robles, CA that gas line fittings are inspected every year by a professionals for any possible leaks.