Clogged drainage systems can become a huge nuisance since they can make the bathroom or kitchen nonfunctional or create a huge mess. It can be really hard to deal with clogged drains since they always seem to clog at the worst time possible. You may not have enough knowledge about such matters to deal with clogged drains all the time. The professional plumbers in Richmond, TX, recommend some preventive measures that you can take to prevent such issues in your home.
Drainage clogs usually occur when the main sewer line leading up to the house gets blocked. Calling professional plumbers in Richmond, TX, is a great idea if this happens, since they can solve the issue by scoping out the clog. They use a remote camera to inspect the sewer line for any clogs in the pipes. Hiring professional plumbers also prevents the risk of future clogs as well.
Such drainage clogs could be a result of the following problems:
- Old materials like cast iron can rot over time. If the material develops gaps or holes, it can let soil fall into the sewer lines.
- Pipes can completely collapse due to corrosion or rot.
- Tree roots can often dig through the joints of the passageways and create complete blocks.
- Poorly aimed shovels can damage the pipe causing it to explode.
In case of a complete breakdown, it is a better option to install new sewer lines using expert plumbers in Richmond, TX. This can reduce possible high costs of repairs, cleaning, and maintenance of the pipes on a regular basis. New sewer lines can prevent future clogs which reduce costs for you.
Washing Machine Hose
Washing machines can often become clogged since their drainage system can catch lint, fabric, hair, facial tissue, or even a sock. If such items get sucked into the water hose, it can cause a lot of problems. All the soapy water won’t be able to flush out; instead, the water may begin to drain out on the floor or seep through into the gears of the machine causing damage.
Calling Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg in Richmond, TX, is the best fix for this issue. They can install a safe lint trap to the drainage hose of the washing machine. The lint trap is made of mesh that catches possible debris from entering the drain. To prevent future clogs, you will have to make sure that this trap is regularly cleaned. If it isn’t, it can become full and turn into a clog in itself. Keeping it clean will ensure no future clogged drains.
Hair and soap become deadly to shower or bathtub drains since they combine to make huge clogs in the drain. Such clogs need professional plumbers in Richmond, TX, to use a proper drain snake to unblock the system. To prevent blocks in the future, you will need to install a mesh trap, stopper, or screen to keep the hair away from the drain. This will keep the system in optimal condition.
Organic matter like grease, food, and hair can also become clogged in the drainage system. It can form sludge against the pipes and harden. This creates blocks in the system, which can prevent the water from draining. It can also form into mold or fungus as it starts to breakdown. This can create an unpleasant smell and increase health risks.
You will have to use bacteria drain clean to remove such sludge. This contains the necessary chemicals and enzymes that you will need to break down the organic matter. It will not harm the pipes that acidic chemical cleaners or bleach can often do.
Make sure that you soak the drain properly overnight in the bacteria cleaner so that all the sludge breaks down properly. If you ignore the sludge, it can create more clogs in the future since it can accumulate over time. Dealing with the problem will prevent such nuisances.
It is important to avoid putting any of the following items down the drain since they can cause blockages.
- Foods with high starch content like pasta, bread, and potatoes can turn into a paste when they are going down the drain. This paste can jam the pipe to prevent proper draining.
- Coffee grounds may make the drain smell good, but they can collect in the pipes. This accumulation of coffee grounds can catch more food particles and begin to decompose in the drain.
- Vegetables with high fiber content like asparagus and celery expand when wet. When you flush them out, they can choke the drain and cause serious backups.
- Oil, fat, and grease should never be flushed down the drain. It can cool down due to the water and harden against the pipes. This forms a strong sludge that is hard to break down. To prevent future clogs, plumbers in Richmond, TX, recommend collecting the grease in a bag and throwing it in the trash.
- Grease, oil, or fat cools down against the pipes and hardens. It is recommended to actually collect the grease and throw it in the trash instead of draining it.
Garbage drainage systems can catch blockages if you feed the system too fast. It can be easy to remove such clogs if you do any of the following things:
- Unclog the system using tongs, pliers, or a wooden spoon. Make sure to switch the system off before you attempt this and never put your finger in the garbage disposal.
- A combination of vinegar and baking soda can cut through any blockage in the system. It forms a reaction that can sizzle through the drain and even cleans the blades.
- Eggshells, small bones, ice cubes, small fruit pits, and other hard materials keep the blades sharp and clean.
- Soak the drain with soap mixture or bacteria cleaner.
- Deep clean the system by disconnecting the pipes and thoroughly cleaning with oxygen bleach
- Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg in Richmond, TX, for a professional inspection to prevent problems in the future.