When you select a water heater for your home, you have to ensure you make the right decision, as the wrong one can cost you. You need to buy an energy-efficient water heater that can save you both energy and money. However, most of the modern and state-of-the-art water heaters do save you energy and money. This buying guide bought to you by water heater repair in Sugar Land can help you make the right decision.
5 Types of Water Heaters Available in the Market
The five types of water heaters available in the market include:
- Conventional Storage Water Heater– Have a storage tank to store and reserve hot water.
- Tankless Water Heater– Also known as an on-demand water heater, it does not have a storage tank and heats water instantly.
- Solar Water Heater– Uses the heat from the sun to heat water.
- Heat Pump Water Heater– Circulates heat from one area to another instead of producing heat directly to provide hot water.
- Tankless Coil and Indirect Water Heater– Uses the home’s heating system to heat water.
Once you are aware of these five types of water heaters that you can buy for your home, you need to consider certain factors to help you arrive at the decision. If you are unsure of what water heater is right for you, you can always call a company offering water heater repair in Sugar Land for advice and recommendation.
Consider These 4 Factors to Decide Which Water Heater is Right for You
You need to consider the following four factors to decide which water heater you should install in your home:
- Cost, Fuel, and Availability– The fuel type or energy the water heater uses to heat water will affect the costs of operating the system, as well as its cost and how energy-efficient it is. You also have to check with the market to see which water heater system is available and its costs. In the event, your water heater does malfunction or break down or one or more of its parts needs to be replaced, you can contact a plumber for water heater repair in Sugar Land.
- Size– You want to provide all the family members in your house with hot water. If your water heater is too small, it will struggle to provide hot water to all the members of your home. For this reason, you need to get a perfectly sized water heater for your home. You can get in touch with a company for water heater repair in Sugar Land to guide you in choosing a water heater that is the proper size for your home.
- Energy-Efficiency– Not just with water heaters, but for any appliance that you buy, your goal should be to save energy and money. A water heater that uses a lot of energy will increase your electricity bill. Before you purchase a water heater for your home, find out its energy efficiency rating. In addition to this, you can reach out to an experienced company for water heater repair in Sugar Land to give you recommendations on the type of water heater that will save you money and energy, as they must have installed several water heaters over the years. Therefore, this gives them an expert grasp on distinguishing between good and bad water heaters.
- Operating Costs– Before you buy a water heater, you need to estimate the yearly costs for operating it all year round. Next, compare its costs with less energy-efficient water heaters as well as with its competitors and different types of water heaters available in the market.
If you are thinking of going into the market to look at various types of water heaters and you take a liking to the one you see, you need to ensure it has the positive characteristics all water heaters need to label them as a good investment. In addition to this, you can discuss your options with a plumbing company offering water heater repair in Sugar Land.
5 Characteristics of a Good Water Heater
The water heater that you have your eye one, does it have the following five characteristics:
1. Is It Energy-Efficient?
Natural gas is the most affordable in most areas of the United States than electricity. If you want to reduce operating costs, you need to opt for a water heater that runs on gas. If you want an electric water heater, go for one that uses a heat pump, as it saves you energy. Another energy-efficient choice is a tankless water heater. You can ask a professional plumber you contact for water heater repair in Sugar Land about tankless water heaters.
2. Is Its Water Capacity Enough for Your Family?
You want to invest in a water heater that is the right size for your home, but without costing you more in terms of energy consumption and price. You should contact a company, specializing in water heater repair in Sugar Land for further guidance.
3. Does It Offer Good First Hour Rating?
The first-hour rating (FHR) is based on the hot water reserved in the tank combined with the amount of cold water that it can heat in one hour. The higher the rating, the more hot water your home will receive during times when everyone needs to use hot water.
4. Does It Have Low NOx?
You need to buy a water heater with a low NOx rating. Water with a low NOx rating means it emits less nitrogen oxide into the air.
5. What is Its Recovery Rate?
The recovery rate of water heaters means the speed at which the water heater can heat water after the initial supply of hot water is used up. If the water heater has a low recovery rate, you will find yourself waiting several hours for the water to heat. If you cannot wait, you will have no choice, but to take a cold shower.
If you want to avoid taking cold showers, you need to invest in a water heater. You can get in touch with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for water heater installation and water heater repair in Sugar Land.