Use the following plumbing tips to assist you with maintaining your home’s plumbing in Houston. Furthermore, if you have questions or need to schedule plumbing service, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for a licensed plumber.
Kitchen and Bathrooms
- Check faucets for leaks. If you suspect a leak, but are uncertain place a container underneath the faucet to check for water due to a slow leak. When water accumulates, faucet repair is needed. Our plumbers can provide the services you need for your plumbing in Houston.
- Use drain strainers to prevent hair, soap, food and other debris from clogging the drain. However, a strainer will not prevent melted grease from clogging the drain. Dispose of grease properly to prevent a grease clog. If you need drain cleaning, contact us today to schedule the services you need for your home’s plumbing in Houston.
- Check toilets tanks for unknown leaks. Add a few drops of food coloring to the water in the toilet tank, enough to color it. If the toilet flap is allowing water to leak past it, the color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes. Ben Franklin plumbers in Houston can provide the reliable toilet repair you require.
- Inspect the toilet tank and the bowl for cracks or leaks. Ensure you check the floor surrounding the toilet, including behind it. A toilet with cracks will require replacement. While a crack may only partially through the fixture, the crack can go completely through at any time, potentially causing water damage to your home. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber to schedule the replacement or repair of your home’s plumbing in Houston.
- Exercise water shut off valves under sinks and behind toilets at least once per year to prevent them from seizing up. Shut off valves enable you to shut off water when needed, without affecting the entire home. Our plumbers can install shut off valves for you.
- Ensure toilets flush properly. For example, if you are required to hold the handle down for proper flush, or jiggle it to stop the water from running, contact our plumbers in Houston to schedule the repair services you need for your home’s plumbing in Houston.
- If your shower head is shooting streams of water in odd directions, clean mineral deposits from it with white vinegar after testing an inconspicuous area to ensure the vinegar will not damage the finish.
Unscrew the shower head and soak it in white vinegar or fill a heavy duty, leak free plastic bag with enough vinegar to submerge it. Place it over the shower head and secure with a thick rubber band. Soak for a few hours and gently rub the residue away with a soft toothbrush. You can use a straightened paper clip or a dental pick to remove residue from the holes. Soak the shower head overnight for extreme buildup if necessary.
- Ensure the temperature setting on the water heater is 120°F to prevent scalding, reduce energy use and bacteria buildup. If you are interested in superior energy efficiency, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber for information regarding a tankless water heater.
- Drain the water heater tank to flush sediment caused by hard water. The sediment can cause corrosion, which reduces the water heater service life. Sediment buildup also reduces the water heater’s performance and efficiency. Check your water heater owner’s manual for specific instructions or give us a call for a professional flush.
- Never store flammable materials near the water heater.
- Routinely inspect dishwasher, washing machine and ice maker supply hoses for cracks, bulges or leaks. Replace hoses older than ten years with stainless steel braided hoses. They are less prone to bursting than other types and experience higher reliability.
- Pour two quarts of water in infrequently used drains to fill the trap and prevent sewer odors from entering the home.
- Routinely inspect under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks. Doing so can prevent severe damage to your home.
- Check your sump pump to ensure proper operation by pouring a bucket of water into the cleaned sump pit. The pump should turn on, discharge the water and shut off without any problems. A sump pump requires maintenance to ensure its operation. Check your owner’s manual or contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Houston for professional service.
- Check for slow leaks in your home by reading the water meter. Recheck the numbers in about an hour. If the reading has changed, you have a leak in your home’s plumbing in Houston.
- Install flood alarms, which alerts you when flooding or leaks occur. They vary in the features they offer, from alarms to notifying you on a Smart Phone, or tablet, for example.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts, and replace damaged ones. Ensure the grade next to the foundation is sloped to prevent flooding of your basement or crawl space.
- Check plumbing vent pipes for obstructions and clean if necessary.
- Inspect faucets for leaks by placing a bucket underneath it. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber for repair of your plumbing in Houston.
Need more plumbing tips? Ask our plumbers when they provide services for tips to save you time and money with your home’s plumbing in Houston. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing when you need plumbing repair, plumbing installation, maintenance or other services for your plumbing in Houston. You can rely on our licensed plumbers to provide quality services that meet and/or exceed the industry standards. We serve Houston, Katy, Sugar Land and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.