When you are concerned about the effects of hard water minerals on your plumbing in Katy, a water softener can provide a solution. Hard water begins with rain water filtering through the soil and rock, where minerals are picked up, eventually ending up in ground water, and flowing streams and rivers, and in your home. While hard water is safe, it is often the cause of clogged pipes, faucets and shower heads, failed water heaters, and the unsightly buildup on faucets and under toilet rims. A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide your home with the protection offered by a water softener installation.
If your household is served by hard water, water heater maintenance is essential in extending its service life, and providing efficient operation and maintaining performance. Homeowner provided flushing of the water heater isn’t difficult. If you are uncomfortable with the process, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg can provide a thorough and professional flush for you; and we will include an inspection to ensure the water heater is has no developing issues.
How Hard Water Can Harm the Water Heater
The consequences of hard water on the water heater include premature failure of the appliance, when routine maintenance isn’t provided. Hard water sediment accumulates in the appliance. As the layer deepens over time, it acts as an insulator. Consequently, heat is retained and cracking of the glass liner that prevents rust and corrosion can occur. At this point, rust sets in on the steel lining, and eventually leaks will occur, requiring water heater replacement.
A potential sign of interior rust includes discolored hot water. Delaying the replacement of the appliance can result in serious water damage to your home and its foundation when a leak occurs. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Katy for water heater replacement.
The Effects of Hard Water
The effects hard water can cause include the following:
- When heated, hard water produces lime scale containing calcium carbonate in the water heater. As it builds on the bottom of the tank, energy costs increase as the appliance struggles to heat water through the buildup. The additional consequences are a reduced performance, and lifespan of the water heater. Water softener installation by a plumber in Katy can prevent the harm caused by hard water.
Hard water can clog the home’s plumbing in Katy, causing low water pressure, or even prevent the delivery of water to outlets.
- Hard water requires the use of extra soap, shampoo, and cleaning products.
- Causes the buildup of soap scum on shower doors, and the sides of showers and tubs. This buildup is difficult to remove, and a water softener can prevent the accumulation of minerals on the surfaces.
- Hard water contributes to dry, itchy skin and dull hair, and can worsen skin conditions such as eczema.
- The minerals in hard water are the cause of spotty dishes, and can have detrimental effects on water using appliances.
For answers to your questions regarding a water softener, or to schedule a water softener installation or repair, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg. Our licensed plumbers offer residential and commercial plumbing services. You can rely on the professional expertise of a Ben Franklin plumber in Katy to provide reliable plumbing services.