Finding out your home is in need of repiping is not news any homeowner wants to receive. Unfortunately, all plumbing will eventually require replacement. When you are in this situation and your budget has not had time to prepare, consider PEX pipe as the replacement for your home’s plumbing in Katy.
Cross-linked polyethylene tubing or PEX pipe is a cost-effective and reliable option for your home’s plumbing in Katy. In addition, it offers a lot of advantages, including:
- PEX is not supplied in pipe joints that require soldering or gluing for long pipe runs. PEX is available by the roll, typically in 1,000 ft. lengths, and due to its superior flexibility and the ability to make up to 90 degree turns without a fitting, PEX can be used in exceptionally long pipe runs without fittings, and without the resulting loss of water pressure related to fittings, such as elbows.
- PEX is not only durable; it is lightweight in facilitating its installation.
- PEX is NSF International certified as safe for drinking water.
- PEX is resistant to hard water buildup and water treatment chemicals
- Adapters enable PEX to be connected to copper or PVC pipe
- PEX is available in a variety of colors for easy identification of hot/cold or supply lines. The PEX water system provides a shutoff valve for each section of your home. If you need to shut off the water to one section of your home, the system enables you to do so without the requirement for shutting the water off to the entire home.
- The flexible nature of PEX enables it to expand to a greater degree than other pipe materials. This provides an advantage in winter weather when the water in a pipe freezes. However, it is important to note that PEX is not freeze-proof; it will simply tolerate it to a higher degree than other pipe materials before rupturing. PEX can be insulated in areas vulnerable to freezing with standard foam pipe insulating tubing. In addition, PEX cannot be installed outdoors.
- PEX acts as an insulator, providing water with less heat transfer and noise.
The Disadvantages of PEX
PEX has only a few disadvantages to consider:
- PEX is only for indoor use, due to its vulnerability to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. In addition, it is unable to withstand consistent outdoor freezing conditions.
- When PEX pipe is installed, it cannot be directly connected to the water heater. An 18-inch copper or PVC pipe connection with adapters between the water heater and the PEX pipe is required.
- PEX is not recyclable, and should not be exposed to oil, pesticides, or other toxic substances due to the potential for it to absorb the contaminates, and resulting in potential water contamination.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg licensed plumbers’ offers reliable residential and commercial plumbing services for your plumbing in Katy. To receive additional information about PEX pipe, other pipe materials, or services for your plumbing in Katy, contact our plumbers in Katy. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg serves Katy, Sugar Land, Houston, and the surrounding areas, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.