Use and Care
The garbage disposal is one of the most frequently used appliances in the home. The disposal provides the convenience of grinding food waste. However, as with any appliance, the disposal requires some considerations for its proper use, and consequently, it will last much longer and perform properly. A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Sugar Land can provide the garbage disposal installation and repair you require. Use the following tips as a guide for the best care and use of the garbage disposal:
- It is essential to turn the water on before the disposal. The running water acts to cool the motor of the unit and doing so will significantly extend its service life, and prevent damage that will require repair by a plumber in Sugar Land.
- Insert the food waste into the disposal after turning the water on, followed by the appliance. Don’t fill the disposal full of food before turning it on. Cut the food waste into small pieces and insert only 1 or 2 at a time to prevent overworking the appliance, or causing a jam. Never put your fingers or hand into a disposal!
- When using the disposal, ensure to leave the water running for at least 20 seconds after grinding is complete. This allows the ground up food to be flushed from the drain, and rinses the disposal blades, assisting in preventing odors and decay.
- Periodically use either a commercial disposal cleaner or grind citrus peelings to help clean and deodorize the disposal.
Clearing a Jam
Clear a garbage disposal jam with the following steps:
- Disconnect the power from the disposal.
- Locate the hex-shaped notch on the bottom of the disposal.
- Use the tool that came with the disposal or an Allen wrench.
- Insert the wrench into the notch and turn the tool back and forth until the blades move freely.
- Reconnect the power.
- Press the reset button
- Turn on the water, followed by the appliance.
If the disposal doesn’t work after completing these steps, repeat them. However, if the blades are rotating freely, and the unit won’t work, you may need to replace the disposal. A Ben Franklin plumber in Sugar Land offers garbage disposal replacement, installation and repair.
Proper use is more than turning the water on before the unit, it includes understanding the disposal requires strict observation of what you put into it. The following items should never be placed in the disposal:
- Onion skins, celery stalks, banana peels, artichokes, cornhusks or anything that is fibrous. Fibrous foods can cause a jam in the disposal and can potentially damage it, and can create a serious drain clog.
- Bones, nuts, fruit pits, seeds, or popcorn kernels can damage the blades.
- Potato peelings, rice, pasta, or other starchy foods that can swell.
- Fat, oil or grease may appear liquid but will solidify causing a drain clog over time.
- Plastic, glass, paper, foam, plastic wrap or metal. Hard objects can damage the blades.
- Large pieces of food should be cut up.
- Pasta or rice can cause drain clogs.
Our plumbers will provide the garbage disposal repair or installation you require, and a plumber in Sugar Land has the expertise to guarantee your satisfaction. Furthermore, you can rely on a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Sugar Land to provide effective plumbing services that meet and/or exceed the industry standards. Our licensed plumbers serve Sugar Land, Houston, Katy and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.