In its natural state, natural gas lacks any color or odor. For this reason, natural gas providers add an odorant to provide the rotten egg smell widely recognized as natural gas. The hazards of natural gas are explosion, suffocation, and fire. For this reason, you should not try to provide a gas line installation or repair yourself. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for gas line service, including gas line repair in Katy.
Recognizing a Leak
A natural gas leak may appear as a white cloud, a mist, fog, as bubbles in standing water, or blow dust and lawn debris into the air.
The odor of natural gas is similar to the smell of rotten eggs.
The sound of a gas leak is often described as a roaring, hissing, or whistling noise.
If you suspect a leak:
- Evacuate the home immediately
- Don’t use a telephone or cell phone
- Don’t smoke or use an open flame
- Don’t operate any switches or appliances
- Call 911 and your gas provider a safe distance from your home
- Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg in Katy for gas line repair in Katy
If flooding has occurred in your home, and gas appliances or their burners have been underwater, shut off the gas, or contact your gas supplier to provide the service. Water can damage natural gas appliances, and poses a safety hazard until the appliance can be inspected by a professional. Furthermore, don’t try to relight the pilot on a flooded appliance; a safety inspection is required before use. Contact our dedicated plumbers for gas line repair in Katy.
Recognizing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and dangerous gas produced when any type of fossil fuel is burned. If inhaled, carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and death.
Recognizing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning provides protection for you and your family. The symptoms include but aren’t limited to the following:
- Irregular breathing and difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
If a member of your household experiences these symptoms, evacuate the home to the fresh outdoor air, leaving the door open behind you, and once all family members are outdoors, call 911.
Steps to Minimize the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
- Have your chimney, gas appliances, and heating equipment serviced and inspected by a qualified professional every year.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, at least one on each floor, and near bedrooms.
- Schedule an annual inspection of vents for gas appliances to ensure carbon monoxide doesn’t accumulate in your home.
- Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating your home.
- Never operate a gasoline engine, such as a generator or an automobile in an enclosed space. When starting a vehicle in an enclosed garage, open the door before starting
- Never use a camp cookstove, portable charcoal, or propane grill indoors.
Call Before You Dig
A damaged natural gas line to a home may create an explosion or fire hazard, resulting in injury and death, and property damage. If you’re planning a project that involves digging, trenching, excavating, call 8-1-1 two weeks before you begin any digging project. Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, call 8-1-1 before the job.
Remember, if you suspect a natural gas leak by smelling, seeing, or hearing gas escaping:
- Don’t strike a flame or operate any switches or appliances.
- Evacuate the building of all occupants.
- Call 911 and your gas supplier a safe distance away from the home and the odor of gas.
- Once the area has been cleared and deemed safe, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for gas line repair in Katy.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg offers highly trained, licensed plumbers with the industry expertise to provide a professional gas line installation, and gas line repair in Katy. If you suspect a natural gas leak, don’t delay, contact 911, your gas supplier, and our plumbers for prompt gas line repair in Katy. Our plumbers serve Katy, Sugar Land, Houston, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.