Being aware of the signs of a water leak can minimize or prevent damage to your home and its foundation. Obvious leaks are recognized with water pooling on the floor or lawn for example. Hidden leaks can be more challenging to verify and locate. The first sign of a hidden leak may be an unusually elevated water bill. The following signs are further hints of a hidden leak requiring water line repair in Sugar Land :
- The water bill may not be the only elevated utility bill. When the leak involves a hot water, you may have an elevated gas or electric bill.
- Discoloration of flooring
- Warm spots on the floor
- Cracked tile, grout or concrete
- Wet, damp or stained sheet rock, wallpaper or shoe molding
- Low water pressure
- A musty odor
- Mold and/or mildew
- Increased humidity
- Foundation cracks
- The sound of running water when none is being used
- On the lawn a hidden leak may create grass that is greener than surrounding areas, or soggy soil in dry conditions. An additional sign is water running into the street or into the basement.
Hidden leaks can be difficult to locate. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg will use the advanced technology of leak detection to pinpoint the leak and provide water line repair in Sugar Land. The state-of-the-art technology of leak detection is especially beneficial for locating slab leaks without damaging the floors in the location of a leak. Furthermore, when the leak is an under the slab leak, our plumbers have the expertise to provide water line repair in Sugar Land with minimal or potentially no disturbance to the flooring
The causes of a slab leak can vary. Some of the most common are as follows:
- Ground Shifting occurs when the ground settles beneath a slab foundation over time and can cause breaks in the pipes that lie beneath the slab. Earthquakes large or small are another cause of ground shifting.
- Improperly wrapped pipes are vulnerable to damage that can result in leaks.
- Damage to a pipe during installation will over time result in wear and eventually result in a leak. Damage may also be due to work provided after the installation of plumbing during the home’s construction due to other workers pouring concrete for example.
- Aging pipes past their prime.
Verifying a leak is a simple procedure almost any homeowner can provide:
Obtain a meter reading when you’re home alone to ensure no water use and write it down. Shut off the ice maker and ensure dishwasher, sprinklers and the washing machine are off. Wait one hour and read the water meter again. If the meter gauge has moved you have a leak. Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for leak detection and water line repair in Sugar Land.
When a leak is located above a shut-off valve the water can be cut off at this point. If the valve fails to stop the water shut it off at the homes main water valve. This may be located near the home, or at the water meter. The meter typically has a lever to shut the water off. Once the water is shut off call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg for prompt water line repair in Sugar Land.
Don’t ignore a leak, the potential for severe damage to your home and its foundation is high. The provision of water line repair in Sugar Land should be quickly provided to prevent further damage from occurring.
Yard Line Leaks
Yard lines may leak due to damage, age and deterioration, or the use of inferior piping in the original installation. When a yard line leak occurs in your home’s water main, you may notice low water pressure. Furthermore, there is the potential for contamination to enter a leaking water line and may subject your family to health risks. Yard line leaks should receive prompt water line repair in Sugar Land.